UKC

Synthetic Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Connolly8684 16 Dec 2013
Looking for a new jacket for the winter, something synthethic as I always seem to go for down and ruin it within no time.
Mainly to be used as a belay jacket or quick insulator during winter climbing. So maybe something with a 2way zip.

Any ideas on what jacket meets all the climbing/walking requirements?

Thanks in advance.
In reply to Connolly8684:
Rab Generator Alpine,M.E Fitzroy,Montane Flux
Either will do the job Nicely, I'd opt for the Montane
Flux Great hood,Pockets,Very Warm Extra insulation around pocket area great price.
 TobyA 16 Dec 2013

> I always seem to go for down and ruin it within no time.

How exactly?! Of course you can get down soggy and needs drying out but what do you do to 'ruin' down jackets?
 martinph78 16 Dec 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> what do you do to 'ruin' down jackets?

that you wouldn't do with a synthetic?

The ME Fitzroy is a warm, tough jacket. Seems to be more water resistant than most as well, so good to throw over your goretex for breaks etc. Good hood and handwarmer pockets also.

I have the Berghaus Ignite hoody and am happy with that for the price. The pertex microlight seems stupidly tough and although it wets out quite quickly (compared to the Fitzroy) it stays warm.

I'm using my synthetic over my shell jacket more and more in wet and cold weather and am impressed.

PN82 16 Dec 2013

There has been a lot of discussions recently on synthetic belay jackets, check out the following threads as they provide a number of options and answer questions on sizing.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=570058
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=570166
 Mountain Llama 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Connolly8684: been using a rab belay jacket for 6 yrs now.
loads of pockets for gloves, food etc. Main zip sum times needs encouragement to get started.

Recommended

Cheers Davey
Cambridge-Climber 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Connolly8684: My Rab belay jacket is now about 8 years old and smells, apart from that it's brilliant!

TobyA 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama:

They haven't made them for years though. Not sure which they consider their "belay jacket" now - Generator Alpine I guess which looks nice but has half the insulation weight that the ME Citadel for example has.
 forcan 16 Dec 2013
I'd have to second the Montane - always comes out with me in the winter. I keep it stuffed in a small drybag, clips onto a crab on the back of my harness climbing multi-pitch outdoors, so I have it belaying a second up.

Lucy Wallace 16 Dec 2013

One of the beefiest and warmest ones I've tried is the Paramo Torres smock. Has an excellent hood.
adam11 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Snoweider:

I've got 2 of them (one for 'best'
The're superb for everything, the only disadvantage is that they don't pack down very small - you can't have everything I suppose.

Black Diamond Stance Parka. Ridiculously huge and warm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...