UKC

What's your favourite bottled cask ale?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skol 16 Dec 2013
Mine's Newcastle Brown, but I'm quite partial to a Hobgoblin.
 jonnie3430 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

McEwans Champion, pure gorgeous!
 Choss 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Im gonna go Thatchers Katy
 cuppatea 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Brakspear Triple.

I only ever have three beers.
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Yes. That's very nice 3 for a fiver in bargain booze
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:

Yes. It is a curious, cultured brew. Like it
Jimbo W 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Bitter and twisted
or
Seven giraffes
or
Good Times
or
Harvest Sun
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:

I've had none of those
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to cuppatea:

3 types or 3 bottles? I like Belgian ones. Delirium Tremens is good. It's got pink elephants on the bottle. Did you see the episode of rab Nesbit when he went to the drs after seeing pink elephants?
Jimbo W 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Get yourself a christmas gift! The last three are all from Williams Bros, Alloa. Great beers!
http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/
 Albert Tatlock 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Holts Manchester Brown Ale
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
The Scottish ales used to be derided, but are actually very good now.
I like Latitude and Kelpie, the sea weed one. A good Schieallion is also a cultured brew. I will try your recommendations, thanks.
 coinneach 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Can it be called "cask ale" if it comes out of a bottle?

I've never seen Troosers Doon ( Nooky Broon ) on draught?
In reply to Skol:

Can recommend the bottled beers from Sulwath Brewery, Castle Douglas,and the beers from Fyne ales Glen Fyne Argyll.
 Fredt 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Abbott

Run_Ross_Run 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Shepherd Neame 1698.

Class.
 cander 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Glad you posted this - reminded me to order 3 cases of Bitter and Twisted - christmas ... sorted
 Hairy Pete 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol: Farmer's Blonde, in fact, anything from the Bradfield Brewery.
 cander 16 Dec 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Innes and Gunn have some fun brews
In reply to Skol:

Current favourite is Curious Brew

OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to coinneach:

I've had it in Sunderland but that was 27 years ago. I can't comment in how good it was as is had several other beers. Double Maxim.
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
Shepherd Neame is good, especially Spitfire
 mattrm 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Theakston's Old Peculiar.

While it's not bottle conditioned, my favourite beer is BrewDog Punk IPA.
 toad 16 Dec 2013
In reply to mattrm:

I'm still not convinced by the Brew Dog Emperors New Clothes thing.

But I prefer Jaipur from Thornbridge if we're branching into craft beer.
 Only a hill 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Adnams Broadside.
OP Skol 16 Dec 2013
In reply to mattrm:

Yes. It's always a toss up in Aldi between Hobgoblin and Old Pec at £1.79!
Now I know this isn't a bottle, but for Xmas day I may purchase this

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CB4QFjAB...
 toad 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

I do like Doom Bar, and I've a big space for 6x, but for a southern beer, then Summer Lightning.

Suprised the Sheffied contingent haven't mentioned Pale Rider yet!
 patrick_b 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Old Crafty Hen. March of the Penguins from William Bros for a stout. But then again, can't beat a Hobgoblin..
In reply to Skol:

Dog is not technically an ale. It is a mixture of piss and dish water that is consumed by brain dead Geordies
In reply to toad:
> Suprised the Sheffied contingent haven't mentioned Pale Rider yet!

We don't like to remind people about it otherwise it might get harder to come by

SGD 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Timothy Taylor, landlord is a favourite if we can add stouts then Youngs double Chocolate is my personnal favourite
 malky_c 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Arran Blonde
Ossian Ale
Hereford Pale Ale
An Teallach
Butty Bach
 fly or die 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

got to be landlord
In reply to Skol:

Fursty ferret, Hobgoblin, Brakspaer Oxford Gold, Bombardier
 Chris the Tall 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:
Palmers Dorset Gold, had a couple of pints in the summer and ended up buying a crate !
 yer maw 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Innes and Gunn original and Fraoch Heather Ale of course.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Peak Rock Ale, very limited edition ale. I have 12 bottles left, 10 are available by auction. Proceeds to CAC/MHT.

(Other 2 are getting sent to Andy Pollitt as he is the cover/label hero)
 hokkyokusei 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

I generally go for the dark stuff and recently I've been enjoying Nøgne Imperial Stout (their brown ale is also very good), and Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout.
 Ramblin dave 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Best things I've had in ages from a share-a-bottle-with-friends sippin beer perspective have been Evil Twin's Even More Jesus and Traquair's Jacobite Ale. Oh, and Struise's Pannepot. And probably some other stuff...

I don't actually drink regular session bitters in bottles that much - they're more of a going out thing.
 JamButty 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

sorry you're all wrong

Old Speckled Hen.....
In reply to JamButty:

You need to stay in more if you reckon OSH is the best bottled ale
 Tom Valentine 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete:

Same for me.

Ramblin dave 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Agreed!
 Chris Sansum 16 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Red Cuillin

And some favourites closer to home:

Adnams Southwold Bitter
Hobgoblin
Brakspear Bitter
St Peter's Best Bitter
Rigid Raider 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

If you can find them, Daniel Thwaites of Blackburn have launched a range of craft ales with high ABVs, under the name Crafty Dan. They are excellent; absolutely bursting with flavour.
johnj 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Acorn Brewery, Barnsley Gold, or Leffe Blonde
 getandy 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

tring brewerys death or glory
 Tom Valentine 17 Dec 2013
In reply to johnj:

Have you tried Jeeves yet? My favourite among theirs is Clear Cut.
(the owner once enjoyed celebrity as the Tango man but he is a nice bloke even so.)
johnj 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I haven't had Jeeves, is that Acorn? My favourite Acorn is Blonde, but I've only seen that on hand pump in the Old No 7, and don't get out much these day, so I only need a few to float home
 galpinos 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Robbie's Old Tom
 Lew13 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Oh, too many.

Either Doom Bar or Robinson's Dizzy Blonde.
In reply to Skol:

> What's your favourite bottled cask ale?

is that possible. I thought the 'cask' was the receptical it is stored in, like bottle...

Am i being a pedant?

Ciderslider 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Hairy Pete:

> Farmer's Blonde, in fact, anything from the Bradfield Brewery.

+1 although only had it on draught in the millstone at Hathersage and it's always struck me as being a fine brew.
 jayjackson 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

I'm a Hobgoblin fan.

Couple of people have mentioned Doombar (which I love), but I'm always disappointed when I have it bottled.

I find it very difficult going to pubs that serve a good pint of Hobgoblin and Doombar on tap...well, I find leaving them quite difficult to be honest.
cb294 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Big Job Ale, StAustell´s Brewery. The best bit is I can buy it here in Dresden....

CB
 london_huddy 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Dent Brewery's Aviator.

The greatest session ale of all time.
 graeme jackson 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Thank God no-one's recommended the Black Isle brewery who's products seem to have gone downhill year after year since I first tasted them in 2003.

had a coule of bottles of dog a few weeks ago and they were surprisingly nice (previous recollections are clouded by drinking a few too many).

Old speckled hen is piss and only drunk by yuppies who don't know any better.

Asda up here do a huge selection but they should really have tasting sessions (like they do on the cheese counter)
 the sheep 17 Dec 2013
In reply to graeme jackson:

Some very nice beer mentioned so far, anyone added Old Empire to the list??

kathrync 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Hobgoblin I love - I used to drink in Wychwood pub when I was a teenager and never lost the taste for it.

I am a big fan of the Orkney brewery. I like most of their brews, but Dark Island and Dragon Head are my favourites from them.

I prefer darker ales, but when I'm in the mood for something lighter, I'm enjoying whatever the beer that is marketed by Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden is called at the moment - Trooper I think.
 hokkyokusei 17 Dec 2013
In reply to mh554:

> is that possible. I thought the 'cask' was the receptical it is stored in, like bottle...

> Am i being a pedant?

Yes, but you're correct. Real ale can be either cask conditioned or bottle conditioned.
 hokkyokusei 17 Dec 2013
In reply to galpinos:

> Robbie's Old Tom

That's a real cracker.
 galpinos 17 Dec 2013
In reply to kathrync:
> I prefer darker ales, but when I'm in the mood for something lighter, I'm enjoying whatever the beer that is marketed by Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden is called at the moment - Trooper I think.

It is, by Robinsons.
 galpinos 17 Dec 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> That's a real cracker.

I get a bottle in my stocking every year!
 hokkyokusei 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

All you real ale fans might want to hide your wallets before checking out this web site:
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/
 Choss 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Quite like Fraoch Heather ale when i can find it. Light and Refreshing.
Jimbo W 17 Dec 2013
In reply to toad:

> I'm still not convinced by the Brew Dog Emperors New Clothes thing.

Not at all convinced by the high alcohol thing.. ..however, trashy blonde is really quite different and a hoppy bitter thirst quencher.
 Mike Peacock 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Another shout for Red Cuillin.

Also Brew Dog's 5am Saint, March of the Penguins and Golden Glory.
 Ramblin dave 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:

> Not at all convinced by the high alcohol thing.. ..however, trashy blonde is really quite different and a hoppy bitter thirst quencher.

I haven't had their stupidly strong ones - those do feel like a bit of a novelty - but I've had and liked Tokyo* and the Paradox Isle of Arran. You do have to be prepared for the fact that they aren't going to taste like regular session bitters, though.
 Dave Garnett 17 Dec 2013
In reply to the sheep:
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
>
> Some very nice beer mentioned so far, anyone added Old Empire to the list??

I like that too, but I've a Christmas stock from our local Wincle brewery in for Christmas; Wincle Waller for post-exercise thirst quenching and Sir Philip for toasting in front of the fire.

pasbury 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

All the St Peters Brewery ales are pretty good.

And recently I was very happy to discover that Owd Rodger is still around - good strong stuff!
 cfer 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Fursty Ferret, Tanglefoot, Broadside, Landlord, Spitfire and Doombar are all sitting in the fridge awaiting Christmas consumption.

Oh and the Discworld ales but I wont touch them as I want them original to go with the rest of my Discworld collection, although I hope the other half got the hint and got me a set to drink at Christmas

http://www.discworldales.co.uk/shop/gift-pack-of-4-discworld-ales/
Douglas Griffin 17 Dec 2013
 Flinticus 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

The ones I remember:
Glen Coe
Dark Island
Midnight Sun
Old Peculiar
Dark Lord

Last time I went home to Ireland, my mate took me to a great newish pub in Dublin with a load of draught ales and foreign bottled ales
 FactorXXX 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Hopefully, the 24 bottles of home brew Barley Wine that have been maturing since February.
 Phil79 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Always enjoy a Doom Bar or Fursty Ferret. And Otter.

Locally, Dartmoor Brewery do several good beers, Jail Ale and Legend are both excellent.
 PeterM 17 Dec 2013

Williams Bros stuff is very good, as is 'Islander' from here:

http://www.hebridean-brewery.co.uk/

The 'Berserker' is supposed to be good for a Pale Ale.
In reply to johnj:

Jeeves is Jeeves. They have a brewery at Stairfoot and now own the Anglers Rest in Wombwell.
Glad to see you're a #7 man.
 Ramblin dave 17 Dec 2013
In reply to graeme jackson:

> Thank God no-one's recommended the Black Isle brewery who's products seem to have gone downhill year after year since I first tasted them in 2003.

Ah right, I come across the organic porter occasionally and it normally seems alright. I'll have to double check it to be on the safe side...

Our Christmas order this year is a mixed case of Harveys bitters and a case of Green Jack's Trawlerboys. Was considering just getting a polypin of the latter, but flat places where things can be put without disturbing them are at a bit of a premium...
johnj 17 Dec 2013

Cheers, not heard of that, will keep an eye out for Jeeves, oh yeah there's not a lot wrong with the reopened old no 7 probably the best pub in town centre. My mate from South Wales thinks it's worth a trip north just for a pint of two
In reply to Phil79:

> Always enjoy a Doom Bar or Fursty Ferret. And Otter.

> Locally, Dartmoor Brewery do several good beers, Jail Ale and Legend are both excellent.

All very good, when I was in the Peter Tavy Inn I had Dartmoor brewery's "Three Hares Honey Ale" which was the best beer of the seven week trip. (It may or may not come in bottles too.)

http://www.dartmoorbrewery.co.uk/beer/three-hares-abv-4-4
 jonnie3430 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Her mother just impressed me, she gave me six bottles of beer I'd never tried before, guessing correctly that the ale brewed "exclusively for Marks and Spencers," would have escaped my notice. They seem to be from a bunch of different breweries, am drinking the Citra IPA (Oakham Ales, no mention of M&S on their website,) at the moment and enjoying it. I don't know how to say this, but I recommend M&S for ale??!??
OP Skol 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I like Fraoch too. Have it in Glencoe after a day out.

Have you tried this one
www.ratebeer.com/beer/...stroppy/23561...
KevinD 17 Dec 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to Skol)
>
> All you real ale fans might want to hide your wallets before checking out this web site:

Another good one is.
http://www.alesbymail.co.uk/

For beers.
I rather like the Anarchy brewery.
Kernel (they have a buy from the brewery every saturday until 3, handy for anyone visiting the biscuit factory since just down the road)and Meantime.
Some wychwood stuff.
 Blizzard 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:
Newcastle Brown -OMG Horrified!

U cant beat cask Ale - ie from the keg. Bottled beer is exactly just that.

but

Blue Monkey BG Sips
Post edited at 21:51
 cragtyke 17 Dec 2013

Tom, it's Geeves. just stocked up on Pale Rider, Easy Rider, Riders on The Storm (all kelham island beers), Copper Dragon, Acorn Gorlovka Imperial Stout and Barnsley Gold, Bombardier Colonel's Special Reserve and Brakspeare Oxford Gold. All in the 4 for £5 at A??A. They sometimes get Ossett Excelsior in as well which is superb as is Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted from Morri?????.
In reply to cragtyke:

Sorry for t'spelling mistake. Will probbly get tango slapped on my next visit to the Anglers.

When are we starting on the secret crag - or is it worked out already?
 whispering nic 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

How do I bid?
 whispering nic 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Harvest Pale
Arran Blonde
Roosters Yankee (bit of a rare one)
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to whispering nic:

For a normal everyday pint before bed or watching Rugby with my father in law on the telly Landlord or Harvest Pale are my mainstays but there is loads of lovely stuff out there...didnt realise any big shops did Kelham Island beers.
 toad 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Never had harvest pale in a bottle. Do like the screech owl, which bottles well.

Kelham Island are in some of the Tesco garages in Sheffield
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to toad:

Harvest Pale is slightly stronger in the bottle. All the brewery's chain pubs sell it and I found it in that posh independant supermarket in Clithero (who's name I forget but I do know their beer collection is ace) so it counts as mainstream
 Phil79 18 Dec 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

I've not tried that but sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for it in the local pubs.
 Tom Valentine 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Never been to C. but I'm guessing Booths.
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2013

Thats the one.
 Mike Peacock 18 Dec 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:

M&S used to do Meantime Porter in a different bottle too. Always a reliable place to stock up.
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I should add that those that like a bit of history and are looking for something different, this lot are great. Fraoch being a staple of my winter trips to Lochaber.

http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/
mhart 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Harvistoun Schiehallion
William Bros Joker IPA, Birds n Bees
CrossBay Zenith (from Morecambe I think)
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Drovers 80'
Jennings Cumberland Ale
Orkney Raven Ale
Loch Ness Wilderness
St Andrews 80 Bob
Black Sheep
Fyne Ales Avalanche
mhart 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Oh and I forgot Inveralmond Ossian is rather good, spoilt for choice really especially now in Scotland. The Drovers and St Andrews 80 shilling are both new to me but Aldi had them in recently and they are great.

I like anything from the William Bros and Loch Fyne breweries, I just picked my favourite tipples at the moment.

There are some Red Rose stuff from Lancaster that is not bad but I'm not sure where you can get it other than in that area. Cross Bay is new as far as I am aware, and the Zenith I tried was a rather nice IPA. Quite like a few of the ales from An Teallach (An Teallach, Beinn Dearg and Crofters I have tried) and also Skye too (Red Cuillin).

Sound like a right boozer.
 Dave B 18 Dec 2013
In reply to whispering nic:

> Roosters Yankee (bit of a rare one)

I used to sell that in the pub I worked in in York. Never a favourite of mine.

Mine when I drank was...

Proper bottle conditioned Guinness. Brings back memories of helping my sister at work and getting a bottle at the end of the day with the other guys on the field.

cbonner 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Golden Glory
Doombar
Betty Stoggs
 osh 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

There are some nice ones brewed in North Wales. I especially like Conwy Celebration and Dark Side of the Moose.

I recently went to a fantastic pub in Conwy which is run by four North Wales breweries (see albionalehouse.weebly.com). Highly recommended!
 cragtyke 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

You can get Harvest pale in Morr******* here, nice drink. I don't know whether the Barnsley A**a is unusual but they always have a really good range of local beers, at the moment there's acorn, kelham, ossett, copper dragon, gooseeye and other breweries. I've also had saltaire and Cragg vale from there.
 Mike Peacock 18 Dec 2013
In reply to osh:

Good call, the Albion is a fine pub. I've never been too keen on the Conwy beers (Telford Porter is their only good one) but Purple Moose and the Orme breweries both do good stuff.
In reply to Offwidth:

Williams on R Scotland today - they plan to make a new beer from Xmas Trees - variation on existing one.

upordown 18 Dec 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:

Yes, Oakham's Citra is my favourite beer ever!
In reply to Phil79:

You won't regret it. Feedback here if you try some.
OP Skol 18 Dec 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Exmoor Stag is good on handpull, is that bottled too?
 oscaig 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Hmmmmm beer! Current favourites are probably - Anything from Adnams but particularly Bitter, Broadside, Gunhill and Ghost Ship
Greene King - Suffolk Springer
Shepherd Neame - 1698
Inveralmond - Thrapledouser
Arran - Sunset and Blonde
Orkney Brewery - Corncrake
An Teallach - An Teallach

Thirsty now...
 BigHairyIan 19 Dec 2013
In reply to coinneach:

> Can it be called "cask ale" if it comes out of a bottle?

> I've never seen Troosers Doon ( Nooky Broon ) on draught?

I have! The Sun Inn, in Preston, used to do it.
 kingborris 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

anything by:

Thornbridge
Moor
Oakham
Buxton

Favourites would be Moor Nor'hop and Buxton Imperial Black
Removed User 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Particularly fond of an Arran Blonde. Loch Fyne Jarl is excellent, as is most beers from William Bros. and Harviestouns. With Arran Brewery moving to Falkirk, there is quite a good local (to me) hub of good breweries now.
 Toby S 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

Red Cuillin
Corncrake Ale (Orkney Brewery)
RedNess - http://www.lochnessbrewery.com/#!beers/cwvn They've only been on the go for a couple of years but they make a great line of beers. The Red Ness has overtaken Red Cuillin as my favourite red ale.
Innis & Gunn Rum finish.
Dartmoor Jail Ale
 Ramblin dave 19 Dec 2013
In reply to kingborris:
> anything by:

> Thornbridge
> Moor
> Oakham
> Buxton

> Favourites would be Moor Nor'hop and Buxton Imperial Black

Good calls.

Buxton Stonge and Oakham Green Devil IPA are also fantastic.
Post edited at 12:20
 kingborris 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

ahh Green Devil is lovely. But they've stopped bottling it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...