UKC

UKC Winter Conditions report. Skye December 17th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 17 Dec 2013
Just a quick update to say that its been cool for 48 hours with a thin covering reaching down to about 600m. Short term it seems unlikely this lot will survive the wet thaw due tomorrow but continued gales and cold pulsing in again on Thursday. Not ideal in the short term but general wind-chill and cold snaps forecast over Xmas should hopefully see Santa leaving us a good base for the rest of the season.
Here's MWIS outlook this morning- "Frequent severe gales and intermittent storm force winds (or stronger) on the mountains well into and perhaps throughout the Christmas period. Precipitation will be considerable on western mountains, with a series of freeze-thaw cycles on all mountain areas. Cold conditions (when snow will lie on lower slopes) will be prevalent across Scotland, less so elsewhere."
Plenty of time for "altitude training"
 BnB 17 Dec 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Loads of snow in Glen Shiel as I drove through this morning. More than on the Ben (for a comparable height) as far as I could tell. I reckon much of that cover will survive the imminent rain, but, perusing the forecasts, goodness knows when the wind will stop blowing.

Looking out over the storm-tossed Sound of Sleat at the clouds scudding past Ben Sgritheall, I concur: altitude training it is!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...