UKC

Are you looking to become a Mountaineer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 threepeaks 18 Dec 2013
I am an MIA Trainee and am looking to develop 2 people (MUST be regular climbing/mountain partners 21+ years old) over the course of several months. If you wish to develop your single pitch climbing, multi pitch climbing, leading skills and general mountain confidence then I may be able to help. I operate from the Leeds area but we would be working mainly in North wales and The Lakes. Please do read my profile for a measure of my experience.

If you are interested please contact me via the forum - I will not respond to replies to this thread other than to advise you to email me. Please read the disclaimer below carefully:

MIA Trainee

- As an MIA trainee I do not, as yet, hold the Mountain Instructor Award which is the recognised qualification for the instruction of scrambling and multi-pitch rock climbing in the UK. I've undergone the training course, but training for an award does not constitute a qualification. The term aspirant should not be used as a level of competency for multi-pitch climbing that has not been assessed.

Insurance
- I do not hold insurance that allows me to receive payment or benefits in kind for instruction, but as a volunteer with membership of a mountaineering council of the UK or Eire I am insured for third party liability.
 GridNorth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to threepeaks:

What's the issue with insurance? Several years ago it was possible to get cover even without any formal qualifications. In fact I was surprised how little extra the premium was compared to a full on qualified guide. Has this changed? You may wish to investigate. Again unless things have changed you do not need any certificates to take instruct adults and receive payment.
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

You also don't strictly need that house you live in if you get sued.
OP threepeaks 18 Dec 2013
In reply to threepeaks: Thank you all for the response but I am now NOT accepting further requests for the time being.

GridNorth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not advising the OP to not get insurance in fact I've hinted at the opposite. With regard to certificates again if a person were to be sued it would be for negligence and not for failing to have the appropriate certificate. Negligence is negligence certified or not although as I thought I had made clear things may have changed.

In reply to the OP: Sorry your post was hijacked..
 shaun stephens 18 Dec 2013
In reply to threepeaks:

I was just reading this and it states that the op doesnt have insurance for instructing yet Ive just been on his profile and it reads that the guy is already operating an instructing/guiding/coaching buisness so I hope that he isnt taking clients out without insurance or has their been a mix up in profiles/web pages somewhere?
 GridNorth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to shaun stephens:

Yuo could run the business without being directly involved in the instructing. I know several people who do this.
 galpinos 18 Dec 2013
> (In reply to threepeaks)
>
> I was just reading this and it states that the op doesnt have insurance for instructing yet Ive just been on his profile and it reads that the guy is already operating an instructing/guiding/coaching buisness so I hope that he isnt taking clients out without insurance or has their been a mix up in profiles/web pages somewhere?

He may be insured up to remit of the awards he holds (SPA/ML or whatever) but not for the awrd he is currently "training" for, i.e. MIA.

He will be insured for 3rd party liability for all that he offers so long as he doesn't accept payment (of any form including a pint of beer) not that he's not insured at all. big difference.

SteveD 18 Dec 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

Sorry to hijack. Any idea where you got this info about insurance from, all the ones I have seen only want national qualifications.

cheers

Steve
 GridNorth 18 Dec 2013
In reply to SteveD:

Sorry , but no it was about 8 years ago. If memory serves the annual premium difference between a fully certified guide and no qualifications was only about £30.00 which surprised me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...