UKC

Best winter/early season crags around Bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 18 Dec 2013
Could candidates for good weather in Jan-Mar?

Wintours - North Wall
Brean Down
Portland - Cuttings
Avon - Sea Walls?
Any bits of Cheddar?
Split Rock Quarry?
Anywhere else
 The Pylon King 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Goblin Combe

OP Owen W-G 18 Dec 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

Any good that crag? Goblin King/Smaug the Dragon look like the E1-2 of choice. Any other treats to aim for?
 Monk 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Most of Avon can be excellent in winter on a sunny day - you can literally be climbing in a t shirt in January if conditions are right. It can be a real sun trap. Even if the sun is not out, it is quick drying.
 Rick Sewards 18 Dec 2013
In reply to Owen W-G:

Wynd Cliff - the warmest crag in the Wye Valley on a sunny winter's day, although the most popular routes (Questor and Cadillac) are shaded by yews and don't see as much sun. For maximum sunshine, go for the Left Hand crag in the morning (from Papillon rightwards - The Don, Sinew and Fibre) and in the afternoon go for the far right-hand end of the Right Hand crag (especially Shaft and Klute).

Goblin Combe is also a good suggestion - along with Wynd Cliff (and its Quarry) and Brean, the only fully south-facing crags in the area that I know of. The Goblin King is brilliant, Smaug the Dragon good but not quite in the same league, and Gundabad is very pleasant in a Shorncliffy-type way. However, in the depths of mid-winter, I think the higher crags (Orthanc, Arkenstone and Eagle Rock) are probably warmer as I'm not sure the sun actually gets to the bottom of Owl Rock at this time of year(though PK probably knows the conditions better than me).

Rick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...