UKC

Short Female Cyclists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattJP 18 Dec 2013
Right ladies, and men if you are reading!

I bought my misses some biking trousers for her birthday and they are too long. They were effectively small mens.

She is 26" leg, so does anyone have any recommendations for this size leg?

Ta in advance!

Matt
 Mountain Llama 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MattJP: why not try tights?

steev 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MattJP:

Our experience is that the sizing on womens bike clothing is quite difficult to judge without trying on. It's usually worth the extra money to just go to a couple of shops and try on as many as possible. Sometimes the kids sizes are the best.
 rallymania 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MattJP:

a few years ago i used to go out with a woman who was 4'11" she generally had petite clothing adjusted to a shorter leg or for things like shoes bought kids ones.

for cycling, leggings or "tights" are best and then can normally be rolled up at the ankle a bit.
 tlm 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MattJP:

It's no good asking me. I'm a woman, and a cyclist, but my legs are 34"!!

Can't you just take them up?
 Tom Hutton 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MattJP:

I'd go for some 3/4 length ones
 girlymonkey 19 Dec 2013
In reply to MattJP:

I'm a similar size to your misses, and I have given up on getting things the right length. I just make sure there are no zips at the bottom so I can either take them up or just roll them up. Kids' trousers don't allow for hips (so I guess depends on the shape of your misses really), and 3/4 lengths I find to be about 2cm shorter than I would want for proper trousers.
Does she get normal trousers to fit her length wise? I never find anything that short (but I am a cheap skate, so maybe you do if you are willing to pay for it?)
Post edited at 14:46
 climbingpixie 19 Dec 2013
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I'm a similar size to your misses, and I have given up on getting things the right length. I just make sure there are no zips at the bottom so I can either take them up or just roll them up.

I'm the same. I just accept that I'm going to have a rucked up/rolled up bit of material at the bottom of my legs. It helps that I'm usually in lycra and excess material doesn't get in the way as much.

Peanuthead 16 Jan 2014
In reply to MattJP:

Late reply so not sure if you still need any info, but I'm 4' 11" and have the same inside leg as your missus.

What kind of cycling trews are you after?

I wear 3/4s (tight ones, and overshorts if mtbing) if it's not too cold as these usually fit without problems, just be careful if the ones you look at have an articulated knee as that might be in the wrong place.

For cold weather, I've tried Gore winter tights - faaaar too long, but with overshoes, you can hide the horrible wrinkles at the ankle! I've also got Rapha winter tights which aren't padded so you can wear them over shorts or 3/4s. These are absolutely perfect leg length wise, but incredibly expensive (I got mine for a fraction of the price at the first ever sample sale they had in Manchester, lucky day!)

Hope that helps!
K
 AlisonSmiles 16 Jan 2014
In reply to MattJP:

Womens will probably be shorter but may still be long. All mine do a nice Nora Battie imitation in wrinkles. Trial and error tells me that Endura, Altura, Pearl Izumi are all too long. In honesty Aldi made the ones I have which are closest to fitting.
 LastBoyScout 16 Jan 2014
In reply to MattJP:

Ask Emma Pooley what she uses?

Definitely don't try Sportful - their bib tights were ludicrously long on me, which was a shame as otherwise they were a great fit.

Maybe buy a bunch online from somewhere like Chain Reaction or Wiggle and send back what doesn't fit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...