UKC

Can You explain the feeling of exposure?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JossGuyer 19 Dec 2013
As the title suggests, can you pinpoint exactly what you are feeling when you up there, alone exposed? I am doing some university work on rock climbing, but I am also fascinated by this 'feeling'
 Brass Nipples 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

Relaxed, living in the moment, in the flow, focused on nothing else the past and future not existing.
 The Lemming 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

I get a cold willie.
 kwoods 19 Dec 2013
Feeling 'out there' and simultaneously happy with given situation. Exposure can be negative but usually only if you're already pumped and scared.

Exposed in the mountains is a kind of warped reality for me, the lines and parameters blur a bit, maybe it's because the factors affecting my safety are a bit more abstract than the in-your-face of rock climbing. The situations that lead to a major problem are drawn out over a longer period than rock climbing (hours, maybe days, as opposed to minutes or seconds).

The positive to this apparently risky mountain experience is it feels like it lifts you straight off the planet, a bit of another realm... coming back to earth is always a bit of a bump and the warm afterglow is good too.

Not quite exposure in pure rock climbing terms but one type nonetheless.

Btw I appreciate the "Im doing university work in rock climbing, simply tell us about exposure". Folks uni surveys seem to begin with "do you think climbing is dangerous, yes or no?", always indicating horrendous misunderstanding from the outset.
 Michael Gordon 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

Well I guess technically it means a lot of space beneath your feet. 'Exhilarating' is a good word to describe it.
OP JossGuyer 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Kevin Wood

I think I worded it differently because, I am a passionate rock climber, like most of us on here. I get the 'exposure' feeling, but I can never know how to describe it, I suppose people who don't climb see it in tunnel vision and simply jump to the word danger, misadventure or fatal, I think that all these words explain could come up with a 'REASON' but not the feeling, So, being exposed in the mountains is an extended feeling, rather than a short sharp burst of... Whatever the hell it is..?
 jon_bee 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:
It's the moment when it becomes clear that nothing else in the world matters more than what you are doing at that moment. All the other thoughts and clutter fall away. The word "focus" doesn't really describe it as that suggest a choice, whereas putting yourself in an exposed, committed position takes the choice away, you have to forget everything else.

Obviously you've chosen to put yourself there, but there's a separation between those decisions and, for me, the feeling of being exposed or committed. True not just of climbing of course, but all those things/sports we do that have a high penalty for failure.
 The Potato 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

An overwhelming sensation of ones own mortality and powerlessness

humblingly exhillarating

Scrotum tighteningly tangible void
 Ciderslider 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

Warm and damp in the pants
 Kemics 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

For the most part when climbing I'm in a little bubble, only paying attention to my immediate surroundings. For me, exposure is the occasional moment when the bubble bursts and the ground snaps back into focus and I realise how far away the ground is/how quickly I would hit it if I fell.
Graeme G 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

Complete and utter terror. I shouldn't be there, we're not meant to be there so what the f*ck am i doing, could someone please come and get me.

kwoods 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

> In reply to Kevin Woods

So, being exposed in the mountains is an extended feeling, rather than a short sharp burst of... Whatever the hell it is..?

I don't mean it in a negative way or anything, if that's what you're thinking, just that raising the stakes in a mountain environment feels more slow burning, less intense, and rock climbing is intense the minute you get off the ground because situations develop really fast by comparison.
In reply to JossGuyer:
Focused. And I always try to embrace the situation, normalise it and enjoy it.
 jcw 19 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:
The French distinguish between aerien (sorry I can't do the accents on t.his machine) and expose. The former is the exhilaration of the drop below you, very familiar if you climb in the Dolomites or even by the seaside with the waves washing below, the latter, lack of protection "expose la viande" as they also rather vulgarly put it. Exposure as I think you mean it is that marvelous feeling of having a huge face below you without any particular danger but better to go on up rather than retreat. A climb without exposure for me is a technical exercise. Exposure is integral with climbing/mountaineering. But it also needs getting used to.
abseil 20 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

Big drop big drop big drop

Focus focus focus

This is great
Removed User 20 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

a few extra layers of skin removed, which is situation normal if we only realised it-we are all just a whisker away from death at all times, and there is nothing like the close proximity of death to make you feel fully alive.
OP JossGuyer 20 Dec 2013
In reply to kwoods:

haha, no I just can't describe 'exposure',

thanks!
 Max factor 20 Dec 2013
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to JossGuyer)
>
> For the most part when climbing I'm in a little bubble, only paying attention to my immediate surroundings. For me, exposure is the occasional moment when the bubble bursts and the ground snaps back into focus and I realise how far away the ground is/how quickly I would hit it if I fell.

This. It's the feeling you get when you suddenly become aware of the wider surroundings, usually you are not safe (i.e. on belay) and not immediately about to fall off either, but suddenly you feel a heightened sense of awareness and somehow also suddenly more aware of the risks.

Wierd thing is I can be cruising on a route, get that sudden sense of, whoaah! and then it shuts me down (get more tentative, slow down) until it passes and you feel in control again.
 FrankBooth 20 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

physiological: awareness of blood pumping through feet, sweating palms, breathing irregularities.
psychological: survival instinct. Determination to control the situation, put danger to one side and overcome immediate danger.
 nniff 20 Dec 2013
 HB1 20 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer: a feeling often accompanied by the well-known heart-in-mouth-felt phrase "just watch me here"

chris687 20 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:

I have mixed feelings about exposure. If I am in a good mental condition, in a flow state or similar then I can particularly enjoy exposure as it highlights the feeling of situational and personal control for me, allowing me to focus on precise movements. If I am not in a good mental condition, ie. I am over/under aroused or scared then the exposure highlights my lack of control over myself and the situation.

Possibly the best way to look at exposure is as an enhancer of any emotion already in play.

Choss 20 Dec 2013
In reply to chris687:

> Possibly the best way to look at exposure is as an enhancer of any emotion already in play.

I Like this description^^^

i can Experience it on a slidinp Scale From

"this is really pleasant, im absorbed in it, its beautiful, im in control, nothing else Matters"

To

"A Sphincter pulsing, all Encompassing Fear, and Internal dialogue of what the hell am i doing this for"

And everything in between.

Few personal observations, the same route can induce different exposure sensations on each different ascent. exposure doesnt Necessarily coincide with height, or distance above runners. It always feels good after youve experienced exposure as great, or horrifying.

Ron Walker 20 Dec 2013
In reply to JossGuyer:
A big drop below your feet!!!
Post edited at 14:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...