UKC

Multi-pitch routes in Yorkshire or Cumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim_Ibbotson 19 Dec 2013
I am looking at doing some good multi-pitch routes is 2014 but i am looking for 3+ pitches to the top, something that may take 2 - 3 hours maybe longer. I am wanting VS, HS, HVS (4b - 5a) and within a days traveling from and back to Harrogate. Therefore Yorkshire would be ideal but Cumbria would also be acceptable. Website urls and topos would be great to.

Thank you in advance, i know I'm asking for a lot.

Tim
 Jon Stewart 19 Dec 2013
In reply to Tim_Ibbotson:

Get a guidebook for the Lakes and take your pick.
 GeoffG 20 Dec 2013

North west girdle @ almscliff. might be a touch out of your grade range but close and well worthwhile

you soloing?
 Bulls Crack 20 Dec 2013

Presume you have your reasons but a couple of days in the Lakes would be more rewarding There isn't really 2+ pitch stuff in Yorkshire.
J1234 20 Dec 2013

The only place I can think of are Langcliffe Quarry http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=609 and Gaping Gill.
 Mick Ward 20 Dec 2013
In reply to sjc:

> The only place I can think of are Langcliffe Quarry... and...

Have you actually climbed at Langcliffe? It's the most serious crag I've been on in nearly 50 years of climbing. Not sure it's a great recommendation for the OP - or anyone. Can't comment on the more recent routes but both of the 'classic' ones I did were lethal. I wouldn't like to bet on their (even less travelled?) neighbours.

Mick
OP Tim_Ibbotson 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

That's the plan eventually, i was just wondering if there were any routes people have climbed and experienced which stand out for them.

Tim
In reply to GeoffG:

Looks like an interesting traverse. Will probably have a look at this one. I can't believe i missed it in the guide book

Many Thanks

Tim
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

Trad Climbing

Tim
In reply to Mick Ward:

In reply to sjc:

Humm I agree with Mick that looks nasty, there is the possibility of The Bleach Party though.

Tim
In reply to Bulls Crack:

A weekend away is on the cards. wouldn't mind a fast drive over the have a play first though.

Tim
 Jon Stewart 29 Dec 2013

Up in the Lakes, really classic multi-pitch routes on big mountain crags, round about VS, include:

Eliminate A, Dow
Bridge's Route, Medusa Wall, Trespasser Groove on Esk Buttress
A bunch of routes on Scafell that I haven't done, e.g. Botterill's Slab (pick a big classic route on Scafell and it will be amazing, it's just a fantastic place to climb)
Kipling Groove, Gimmer (accessed by NW Arete)
Golden Slipper, Pavey (best combined with Arcturus, bottom end E1)

Obviously there are thousands more great multi-pitch routes, many on valley crags. But I find a day up on the mountain crags on these kind of routes more memorable.
 JLS 29 Dec 2013

The Crack at Gimmer would seem to be as good a place to start as any...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=4178

So again, solo?
 andy 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Isn't Arcturus E2 these days? Seem to remember sering it had been up-up-graded.
 Jon Stewart 29 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:

E2??? Mental. I did it when low E1 was my limit and thought it just scraped the grade for a couple of moves above the peg.
 andy 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> E2??? Mental. I did it when low E1 was my limit and thought it just scraped the grade for a couple of moves above the peg.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=570759&v=1#x7588174

Seems a similar level of incredulity from most of us oldies. HVS.
 Jon Stewart 30 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:

> Seems a similar level of incredulity from most of us oldies. HVS.

Wow. The passage of time...I've now been climbing long enough to grumble about grade inflation, and I have quite a lot of grey hair. The next chapter begins. Next I'll find some ancient rigid stemmed cams and place them resentfully, wishing everything was more difficult.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...