UKC

Ski Boots on Easyjet / Gatwick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 20 Dec 2013
Has anyone flown recently with EJ and ski kit?

I always see it bandied around as an option, but do you think I could get through security and on wearing my ski-touring boots? (obv taking off to be scanned but)
 andy 20 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

Have you booked skis? If you have I'm pretty sure you can take a separate boot bag.
 Cardi 21 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:

I'd be interested to know this too, as I'll be booking skis, but can't find anywhere that confirms that for certain.
 Trangia 21 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

I've always sent my ski boots with my hold luggage when flying Easyjet. Useful packing fragile things like goggles in. So long as your total hold luggage doesn't exceed 20 kg I've never had a problem with an extra boot bag. The skis are exempt from your total weight allowance if you book them in at the special check in desk for oversize luggage.
 dave frost 21 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

I always put my ski boots in my hand luggage. WTF would you want to wear them for ?
OP neuromancer 21 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:
So one item of ski luggage (i.e. your ski bag - which in my case doesn't have room for two pairs of boots) is a paid extra.

My girlfriend and I are taking only a carry-on, and so not paying for extra hold baggage. Therefore, we are left with ski boots which are bulky AND heavy.

I wore my mountaineering boots (not plastics) on our last trip to Switzerland, so will I get past security AND onto the plane wearing ski touring boots? The plan would be to wear them through security, then change into flip flops. Then wear them again to get into the plane, then flip flops for the flight e.t.c.

It saves £30 which almost a days lift pass to verbier.
Post edited at 11:47
In reply to neuromancer:

I think my Dad has worn Ski boots onto planes in the past without issue. I have worn Spantiks in the past too.

Why would it be a problem for security? Ski boots aren't a lethal weapon.

I just risk it, but turn up to your flight early so can check them in just in case.
 Morgan Woods 21 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

why not just put them in your ski bag?

i normally just take a roller bag for the skis and a back pack.
 dave frost 21 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

Get a bigger ski bag and pack it out with all your clothes. Leaves more room for boots in your hand luggage, but i think, as someone has said, you get to take on your ski boots in your boot bag along with the sports equipment, but check first.

Im sure this happened to me returning from geneva, they just said for me to put my boots in the hold as they were part of the charge for sports goods/skis.

deco get a big bag and pack it out though.
 andy 21 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer: Here's what Easyjet said to me last year when I asked (I do find asking the airline usually gets you an answer):

29th December 2012

Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting us.

I can confirm that you are able to take skis in one bag and your ski boots in a seperate bag and this will count as 1 peice of sports equipment.

More information regarding this can be found below:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039/kw/skis

I do hope this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

- Amy Heaton -
easyJet Customer Services

andy 21 Dec 2013
In reply to dave frost:

> Get a bigger ski bag and pack it out with all your clothes. Leaves more room for boots in your hand luggage,

Depends on the airport more than the airline but some places (Chambery's one) specifically say no boots in hand luggage.
 Aly 23 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

If you have booked a ski bag (small sports item) then you can take skis, poles and boots (in a separate boot bag) as long as combined they are less than the 20kg weight limit. This is in addition to any hold baggage allowance you have booked. It says this on the easyjet website if you look up the baggage allowances page.

I'm not sure but I suspect a day ticket for Verbier is nearer £60 than £30 by the way, a day pass at Glenshee is £29!!!
HTH
OP neuromancer 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Aly:

About 60chf, so 40 quid. Then minus a couple of vouchers I have.

The problem is; my ski bag is not big enough for boots. A new one is close to £80-100.

So; consensus; ski boots worn on?
 Neil Williams 23 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

Ask the airline *and* the airport. I can see security not liking them because they could be used for whacking someone round the head or somesuch.

Neil
 andy 23 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

> The problem is; my ski bag is not big enough for boots. A new one is close to £80-100.

> So; consensus; ski boots worn on?

Why don't you just put your ski boots in another bag? Any old holdall would do. I don't see the problem - why risk having a massive row with security (which will be the airport, not the airline) when the airline's website (and the email I copied) clearly states you can take your boots in a separate bag?
Post edited at 11:28
 hudav 23 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

If I am not taking skis with, then I carry my ski boots as my carry on in a boot bag. Never had a problem at London airports, with various airlines. Also tend to carry my B3 boots on and not had a problem with those either.
 andy 23 Dec 2013
In reply to hudav: You can also carry boots on EJ as hand luggage and there's no weight restriction (there's a size limit, but no weight):

If ski boots are being carried without skis they can be accepted either within your normal standard hold baggage allowance, within your standard hand baggage allowance or as a sporting equipment item whichever is the more convenient option.

- but as the OP is taking a ski bag I'm struggling to see the point of the question - put the boots in a separate bag and check it in with the skis (although if you're trying to get 2 sets of skis through when you've only paid for one then that might be an issue).

NorthBound 23 Dec 2013
I have worn ski touring boots on easy jet flights, but only on the return leg home from Switzerland. last time was March. No problems other than having to remove them at security for an x-ray, but everybody had to remove their shoes anyway! I think I did have a pair of crocs with me just in case, but they weren't needed and I should have just left them at home rather than have to find a place to stash them in the valley.
 johno072 24 Dec 2013
In reply to neuromancer:

I have heard it said that the problem is that the buckles can catch on seat upholstery and they would have to be removed in the case of an incident as they may damage escape slides so the answer was no!
 Trangia 31 Dec 2013
In reply to andy:

I do hope that the spelling errors are typos made when copying Easyjet's letter in haste, and not from the original letter!!
 andy 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trangia:
Not a letter - an email. And it's copied and pasted. I attended a grammar school and can spel and stuf.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...