UKC

Woah! this place looks RAD!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
boulderlad 21 Dec 2013
youtube.com/watch?v=2qla1MLpKfs&

Thinking of heading here, does anyone know what it would be like in the new year? too cold? too wet?

What are the best routes, all recommendations welcome.

Cheers,

Josh
In reply to boulderlad:

It is 'rad'. I've been twice in the summer when the weather has crapped out in the alps for mountaineering/we were too harrowed to climb in the mountains anymore! It was very hot in the summer, looks pretty cold in winter from the video but Ive not been there then. We went to a few stand out crags, can't remember their names but one was a mega steep roof covered in massive jugs with routes of 6a+ on it, that was fun. We went to a 'grotte', not sure if it was the one in the end of the video as we abbed in but that was worthwhile. Also the big multipitch wall with a route called 'joe falcheto' or something like that was good. Look back through my log book about 5 years ago and you might find the routes we did.
boulderlad 21 Dec 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Thanks for the reply, I had a look at some of the routes you did and they look pretty awesome! Hoping to go in the new year, just depends on the weather, are the crags sheltered from the weather if it rains?
 Siderunner 22 Dec 2013
Lovely video, nice to see an inspiring video that's not all about 8's and 9's!
 JuneBob 22 Dec 2013
In reply to boulderlad:

I went in October - it's very good. It was still in great nick at the beginning of December too, and with the warm winter it could be good in the NY.

I did Grimonett http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=189153 which was really good, and a bunch of others I haven't got round to logging and now can't remember the names of. But, very good
boulderlad 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Siderunner:

Hey, yeah it is pretty sweet, im a pretty newish climber so its nice to see something for everyone. It looks like they have a bunch of videos about climbing in Europe, might just go for a tour around Europe...if my wallet can cope...
boulderlad 22 Dec 2013
In reply to JuneBob:

that route looks amazing, what are the best sectors? Good to see it is such a popular area.
boulderlad 22 Dec 2013
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

And also, i was wondering, how did you get there? did you fly or drive or what, what is the best way to get there? thanks,

Josh
 joepremier 22 Dec 2013
In reply to boulderlad:

Hadn't heard of finale until I went there in september, was in finale ligure but ultra is supposed to be really good too. I can't offer any specific advice except that you should go! Don't know how this area is relatively unknown in the uk, it's really popular with Germans. I found the grades on the tough side of fair. Stayed at Monte Cucco, so many crags within walking distance with a great spread of grades and a great pizzeria there too! I liked the crags in Rhian Cornei best, don't think the ones I saw would be sheltered from rain, but I'm not climbing super steep stuff! It's a really nice area, Finalborgo has a lovely atmosphere and the climbing shops are really helpful with advice. If you have any specific questions I'll try help, but I drove from Germany so can't offer logistical advice and I won't be able to look in the guide til january.

Good luck, it's lovely there!
 IPPurewater 23 Dec 2013
In reply to boulderlad:

You could fly to Nice, Genova (closest), Turin or Milan and hire a car.

Alternatively arrive by rail from Genova or Nice and get a taxi up to the Monte Cucco campsite. There are supermarkets in Finale, but none close to the campsite, which was opposite a pizza restaurant, that was open when we were there in August 1998. There was a climbing shop in Final Borgo where we got the guidebook.

The campsite had cold showers, wash basins and a reliable water supply.

I have a sketch map of the campsite location. If you'd like a copy of it send me an email and I'll scan it for you.

The weather is variable in December/Jan. If you are lucky it will be dry.

IPP
boulderlad 23 Dec 2013
In reply to joepremier:

Thanks a lot for your advice, that sounds great. I will be sure to be in touch if i have any specific questions, but I don't think I will be climbing anything too steep... I'm glad to see it has had such a good response but it is not too popular yet!
boulderlad 23 Dec 2013
In reply to IPPurewater:

That is awesome, thanks so much for the help that will definitely help me. Fingers crossed for the weather, if its anything like it is in Scotland then i'm out of luck! Ill see if I can find the campsite, if not, I will be in touch!

Thanks,

Josh
boulderlad 24 Dec 2013
In reply to boulderlad:

Also, i was thinking about heading over and checking out Varazze, what do you guys think about the area and would it be worth bringing the boulder pad?
boulderlad 24 Dec 2013
In reply to boulderlad:

But thanks everyone for all the positive feedback!! I will be sure to log it once i get back!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...