UKC

geology Hammer to peg Hammer conversion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 23 Dec 2013

Anyone any idea how i could modify a geology Hammer pick end in to a Blunt Point for Use as a peg Hammer?

Apart From 6 Months of Hand Filing that is.

I dont have Access to any Industrial Gear, but may be able to persuade a small local place Like a garage to do something for me for a pint.

Its the Kind in Link Below.

http://www.geologysuperstore.com/product/visa-tools-hickory-geological-hamm...
Post edited at 09:59
 yeti 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

ok i'll join you under the bridge, why not buy a hammer that fits your needs, confession time... I own around 14 hammers
 deepstar 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss: Would`nt it just be a lot easier to get one from ebay? I think there are a couple on there at the moment.

OP Choss 23 Dec 2013
In reply to yeti:

> ok i'll join you under the bridge, why not buy a hammer that fits your needs, confession time... I own around 14 hammers

Advertised for a peg Hammer or hammerHead axe on here Several Times.

I have a geology hammer Which doesnt get used, seems Sensible to convert it no?
 yeti 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

ahh, see your point, filing would just blunt the file, but you're right your local garage should have a vice and angle grinder, that'll do it

deepstar 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> Advertised for a peg Hammer or hammerHead axe on here Several Times.

> I have a geology hammer Which doesnt get used, seems Sensible to convert it no?

It does`nt really need to be converted,its the pein of the hammer thats important not the pick.As long as it has a decent leash on it just use it as it is.
OP Choss 23 Dec 2013
In reply to deepstar:

> It does`nt really need to be converted,its the pein of the hammer thats important not the pick.As long as it has a decent leash on it just use it as it is.

Yep. Already fitted a Leash made From a nylon dog Lead. If could Point the pick end would make it for peg pulling. Can use an old krab and short sling for leverage anyway.
 IPPurewater 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

Don't think I've ever used the pointy end of my peg hammer.

However the hole through the head of it is useful if you've loosened a peg but can't quite get it out. You can create a daisy chain of crabs, clip the peg and hammer away from the peg, pulling it out.

If you are only going to place an occasional peg it won't matter.

IPP
johnj 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

You could modify it, I've never actually ground a hammer before, if you want to draw me a accurate sketch of what is needed and you want to cover postage, it's 2.60 each way I could do this for you.

But If it were me I'd sell that one on ebay, and then source and purchase a suitable peg hammer.
 3leggeddog 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

leave the hammer as it is, you never know when you might need to create an extra hold
 Dave 88 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I did exactly this mate. First thing I did was cut the handle down as it seemed too long for a pegging hammer. I cut the bottom inch of rubber off then glued it back on afterwards so it looked a bit more of a finished product. Drilled a holed in the handle for a leash. Then cut the pick down with an angle grinder, and shaped it to look a bit nicer and fit in with how I wanted it. It was hard work with a basic grinder and I went through two discs, but it's possible. Then I drilled a hole through the pick end for clipping into for peg pulling. Again, with a hand held drill, this was hard work and I had to go up half a mil a time with drill bits until I got to the right size.
OP Choss 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave 88:

Any Chance you could post or Link to a photo of your finished mod Dave?

Cheers.
 Dave 88 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I'm away over Christmas mate (and didn't bring my peg hammer with me!) but I'll email you some photos when I get home next week.
OP Choss 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Dave 88:

Cheers Dave.

just interested to see your geology hammer mod before i start hacking away at mine, for ideas.

Ps cant believe youve gone away for Christmas without your peg hammer. Very slack :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...