ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Essentially skills for a second (trad morocco)

Kemics - on 23 Dec 2013
Thinking about the Valkyrie rescue thread. I'm heading to morocco for a trad climbing holiday, the second is very in experienced. Can climb indoors so can tie in and belay. They can also tie a clove hitch.

What are essential skills for a second?

Every belay will be indirect as I'm leading every pitch. So that makes escaping the system/rescue/retreat very easy. I'll also be using a atc guide so can do a bit of hauling if they get stuck. I'll also buy some two way radios so communication won't be a problem. I'll be climbing on doubles, so worst case I can just tie them off and do a mega 100 meter bail. For that scenario would need to learn - passing a knot on abseil. Is it worth them learning how to Prussick up the rope? I've also taught them the rough theory of belay building, just to give my actions context. Any essential other essential skills?
... not showing 10 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums