UKC

Xmas Eve Walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 23 Dec 2013
Given the apalling weather forecast for tomorrow, are any of you planning a day on the hill? Any plan/venue you wish to share?

Three of us have been doing Xmas Eve Walks for about 30 years now. I haven't missed one - yet... We've failed to 'summit' on just three occasions. Tomorrow's 120 mph gusts will be interesting and I reckon we will not summit at all. We'll sneak up the lee slopes as far as possible - depends on snow deposits. Venue for us is Arrochar Alps. We have a certain 'howf' we will target should the going be too arduous. Get inside for a bite to eat and a wee dram and be content. The best laid schemes...
In reply to gilliesp:

At work just now listening to Radio Scotland - Met office guy just said I wouldn't want to be on the hills tomorrow. Good luck!

Choss 23 Dec 2013
In reply to gilliesp:
Good luck tomorrow. Walk near a pub

just took dog for walk in Bristol, it was Like being on a boat in a Rough sea.
Post edited at 12:51
 Mark Bull 23 Dec 2013
In reply to gilliesp:
The Brack might be a feasible target: the normal route should be in the lee, especially if you take the grassy gully through the crags rather than going all the way to the lochan on the SE shoulder (avalanche risk permitting). Beinn an Lochain from the Rest (i.e. not the NE ridge) might go, as might Beinn Luibhean from Butterbridge.

Have fun and stay safe!
Post edited at 13:42
OP gilliesp 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Amazingly spot on with your hill possibilities. Maybe the 'howf' was a clue. Safe fun will be the order of the day.
In reply to gilliesp:

LOL I was thinking the same - Cobbler View.
OP gilliesp 23 Dec 2013
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Be interesting if there's a queue to get in..
OP gilliesp 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark Bull: Just a wee postscript.

Ascended The Brack today via a broad NE snow gully to trig point in almost clear, windless conditions. Only on the last 5 meteres to summit, above two cornices, did the wind pick up. Had to haud on to the trig point where the wind was howling but probably less than 80mph and certainly not the 120mph max forecast. Light winds and calms from Ardgartan both ways ie the sheltered side. Had brew up and dram in howf on descent. And a surprisingly good day was had by all!

Given the hellish forecast, did anyone else have an unproblematic hill day?
 Mark Bull 24 Dec 2013
In reply to gilliesp:

Nice one!
 Mark Kemball 24 Dec 2013
In reply to gilliesp:

Managed an ascent of Rough Tor (Bodmin Moor), fried up bacon butties at the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...