UKC

Electrical question - water pump power

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 23 Dec 2013
Ive a hot water storage tank and a pump to increase flow for a shower, it looks like it was put in fairly soon before we moved in 6 years ago and still works well, or rather too well.
Basically with the tap open at its lowest setting its just too powerful!

Without buying a new pump is there any way to reduce the power - would it be a simple case of reducing the input voltage?

Its a salamander pump and there is a minimum flow rate activated switch so its not just as simple as reducing the pipe diameter or fitting a different tap.
 balmybaldwin 23 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

Any other controls on the pump?

At worst, turn the minimum flow up so that you can use it with the water turned down.

I wish I had this problem, my shower vaguely spits in my direction at the moment!
 Neil Williams 23 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:
If the flow would be good enough without it, remove it?

It could be replaced with a section of plain pipe with the push or screw-fit connections at each end. Should be fine if done properly - tank hot water is not exactly high pressure if there's no pump.

Neil
Post edited at 15:52
OP The Potato 23 Dec 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

no theres literally a dribble without it on (theres a through flow for when the power is off)

No other controls visible

Heres a link to the spec sheet I found online
http://www.salamander-pumps.com/Installation-Guides/Salamander-Installation...
 balmybaldwin 23 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

That link isn't working for me (probably my PC) how handy are you? you could conceivably solder a resistor in series with the motor, but that would require disassmbley (and no doubt end of warranty)and putting it back together again.

another option (but you'd have to watch the load ratings) would be to put a variable resistor (dimmer switch) in place of the current switch, but this could well be troublesome if there is a power step-down.
 winhill 23 Dec 2013
In reply to owena:

A larger shower head would reduce power (sometimes even cleaning it).

Have you got isolating valves on the output side? If so try restrict them a bit, don't restrict the input (supply) side though or it just makes the pump work harder.
http://www.salamander-pumps.com/ct55-single-shower-pump.html

spec link is at the bottom

Ive got a large shower head on already, good idea though

Good idea on an isolating valve i.e. an inline tap ill look in to that
In reply to owena:

well that worked, how simple eh! I didnt think it would work because of the minimum flow needed to activate the pump but its nice to be wrong sometimes.

Thanks for all the other suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...