UKC

Ice axe to make a pair?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 splat2million 23 Dec 2013
Looking for a bit of advice.
I have a 58cm Grivel Evo Air Tech axe with adze primarily for walking. I'm looking to get a second axe to allow me on to steeper ground and to get on to some easy climbs.
Is it worth getting another Evo Tech axe with a hammer (which only seem to be available up to 53cm), a different axe to pair it with, or a complete new set?
 Cameron94 23 Dec 2013
In reply to splat2million:

Keep it as a walking/mountaineering axe and get a mid range set of tools for climbing.
siisu 24 Dec 2013

You aren't clear about what you mean by steeper ground. Why do you need a hammer? what would you do with it? where are you going to climb?
without knowing the answers to any of these my advice would be: get a cheap axe of whatever sort and go through a few grades ( upto ii?)after this if you find it is for you, invest in a pair of tools that reflect your ambitions/ability
 Alex Slipchuk 24 Dec 2013
If you're interested in a pair of black diamond rage tools with either the micro hammer/adze or standard, a choice of new laser picks or used titan picks (still kept sharp and toned), including 2 petzl trig rests per tool to allow full leashless (turns them into bombproof quarks) and of course a pair of leashes (if you feel the need), then pm me.

Quite possibly the best tools for scottish whatever!

Sandy.
 CurlyStevo 24 Dec 2013

Depends - if you are 100% sure you are going to get in to winter climbing and likely to push up to atleast grade IV and have some cash to spend I'd just go straight in and get a pair of technical tools like the vipers (personally I'd go leashless with lanyards from the off). You could ofcourse just buy one now and pair it with yr alpine axe.

Another option is to buy second hand axes (preferably either leashless tools or tools that have been converted to leashless) you could sell these on at a later date if you decide to upgrade.

CurlyStevo 24 Dec 2013

BTW personally I wouldn't get another alpine axe to pair it with, one is quite enough!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...