UKC

Electrical Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 24 Dec 2013
Sorry for any ignorance, We have a light fitting on the landing which takes 5 x 40 watt bulbs but the bulb failure rate is quite high, circa one bulb sometimes every couple of weeks. I can only assume that the light circuit might be close to its capacity. Having said that few, if any, other bulbs on the same circuit fail.

Just wondering about the best way to investigate before I call in a sparks.

Thanks.
 Choss 24 Dec 2013
In reply to FesteringSore:

Are we Talking halogens?

If so, i had that Problem in Front room Light Array. Can try modern eco halogen Replacements?
OP FesteringSore 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

> Are we Talking halogens?

No, bog standard incandescent with screw fitting.
 Choss 24 Dec 2013

Modern eco, or old fashioned Type?
 digby 24 Dec 2013

If the light circuitry is close to its limit (unlikely) the circuitry will fail, not the bulb. I would say it's coincidence. You'd be better off with eco bulbs though.
 gethin_allen 24 Dec 2013

Are the fittings quite a closed design? Could they be overheating? This was excuse we were given by an electrician although i wasn't sure if i believed him as bulbs are surely designed to take high temps. Otherwise, are you buying cheap bulbs?
 SteveD 24 Dec 2013
In reply to FesteringSore: We have the same problem in our lounge & dining room.

Smaller bulbs tend to go quicker in my experience, no idea why and modern longlife bulbs are no better. In theory Halogen cycle bulbs need to be up to temperature to function properly so if your supply is at the lower end of acceptable it might affect the life of the bulb.

We are trialling LED lamps to see if they are better, although they are not cheap, they 'should' last for ages.
In reply to digby:

> If the light circuitry is close to its limit (unlikely) the circuitry will fail, not the bulb. I would say it's coincidence. You'd be better off with eco bulbs though.

Occasionally the MCB trips but more often the bulb fails.
In reply to Choss:

Old fashioned
 WILLS 24 Dec 2013

If there are that many builds together you have to be looking at overheating as the problem. Try Eco bulbs. Like others have said.

change the light unit.
As gethin_allen's question, could it be cheap bulbs?
I've had a spate of quick failures (lasting less than a month) in tungsten tubes in my kitchen under unit lights. When I went to the shop where I've bought replacements for years asking about a bad batch, one of the staff said on the quiet "buy cheap, buy dear" and went on to say he would never buy bulbs from the place he works and recommended I went to another local shop in future. I took it he was suggesting they sold cheap made bulbs. A manager wandered along during discussion and he offered to replace f.o.c. three tubes as a good will gesture, so that maybe suggested what that previous chap said was right?
Would be worth going for a better bulb? I am intending to change the fittings soon anyway so probably not bother to look for a better made bulb.

Jim C 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> As gethin_allen's question, could it be cheap bulbs?

> When I used to purchase expensive industrial lighting, I was made aware in no uncertain terms that cheap was dear ( but then the bays were very high and there was a cost of installation to consider)

If it's on a landing does it get switched on and off all the time so its only on when someone is actually on the stairs to save energy? The lifetime of the bulb will depend on the number of times it is power cycled as well as the length of time it is on. LEDs might be a good choice if the bulb gets switched on and off a lot.
 Kevster 24 Dec 2013
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I guess its the small Edison screw or small bayonet light bulbs, candle shaped.
We have the same issue with bulb failurr being higher than you'd think notmal. You are not alone
I knpw my electrics are fine. It seems to he a problem with that type of lamp.
 Fat Bumbly2 24 Dec 2013
In reply to Kevster:
Had this problem with the candle shaped incandescents - seems to have gone away now that we have a modern low power bulb in.
In reply to All: Thanks for comments and suggestions. I'll look at them in detail after Christmas.

Simos 25 Dec 2013

Probably cheap light bulbs - get some decent ones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...