UKC

Bear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 althesin 25 Dec 2013
Abseiling off a jammed knot, with Stephen Fry.

Dumbfounded
In reply to althesin:
Leaving a dear carcass, after taking a few bits from it,.

Abseiling but too cool to wear helmet, of course the mountain knows not to drop a rock on him.

And no helmet on motorbike.

Bloody idiot.
Post edited at 21:29
 alexcollins123 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

'Via Ferata-ing' on a couple of slings
 sid68 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

'emergency' abseil rope!

Staggered!!!!
 gi 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Leaving a camp fire burning, leaving the deer carcass, eating ants.. Nothing wrong with it per se but in terms of Leave No trace Principles its pretty poor to take and encourage the use of resources when you have seemingly plentiful supplies.

As well as no helmet, even worse (and I looked pretty hard but could be wrong) was having no back up auto block or safety line while tandem abseiling.

Flashing you c*ck at someone first thing in the morning is pretty unnecessary, especially under the guise of putting out a fire which you then leave burning.

Gi
 Mick r 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

> Abseiling off a jammed knot, with Stephen Fry.

> Dumbfounded
And what was it jammed into? Whatever it was, it was sitting pretty shallow. Anyway, anyone know what he was abbing down? I want to go back and collect the ropes he couldnt retrieve

Cameron94 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Anyone got a link sounds like a way to pass the time.
 Skyfall 25 Dec 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Try iplayer or the itv one whichever side it was on, can't recall
 Wendy14 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Just watched this and mentioned all of the above as well as having no ice axes
 Cameron94 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Where did you find it Wendy?
 RomTheBear 25 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Just watched it. Dafuq was this shite ?
 Wendy14 25 Dec 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

My dad had recorded it. Sorry. It will prob be on 4OD.
altirando 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Saw a few minutes then turned off - silly, gives an entirely wrong impression. Who would wallow through deep snow without at least poles? Remember another one last year with Grylls supposedly bivvieng up on MBlanc and then in the supposed wilderness finding the most difficult way down, at one stage abseiling down a boulder slope a few feet away from a tourist path.
 FactorXXX 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Bear Grylls came across as a really nice person. Down to earth and on the face of it, really supportive and motivational to Stephen Fry.
However, it was obviously a complete load of utter bollocks!
I particularly liked the way they started all their abseils with about 20 metres of rope...
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

One of the first rules of any type of production is to choose a target audience. And bear grylls' target audience certainly isn't middle aged/old trout rock climbers. TV is about nothing more than making money. A lot of normal people will have watched it and enjoyed. I didn't my self as it was Christmas Day and I had better things to do than watch TV.

I take it any Stephen Fry fans out there will now be leaving his fan club for his money making escapade with bear.

It was Christmas yesterday for Christ sake, you really should try and be more positive!
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> It was Christmas yesterday for Christ sake, you really should try and be more positive!

Yeah - we can take our example from your positive and uplifting posting style

Trangia 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Why the hell would anyone want to lug around a condom full of water with a waterfall right beside them on a mountainside of melting snow!?
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Yea, I'm positive for one day, and that's Christmas!

I didn't notice a post from you though buddy..... so don't be offended. God Bless you haha
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Which God? There's more than one you know....
OP althesin 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:
Yes I would rather have been climbing on Christmas Day
Getting Stephen Fry into a position where he was more physically exhausted and frightened than he had ever been was a real achievement, especially in good humour.
I could not let Bear's suspect rope work pass without a good UKCing though.
Happy Christmas all.
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Well considering I have a beard at the moment, I'll choose almighty Allah!

Just to confirm...... God isn't real! Just so you know where I stand on that one!
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

He's as real as Grylls is......
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Soldier soldier! I thought you would have prayed if I'm honest! You, Bear and Fry would get on like a church on fire!
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I don't have a clue what you're trying to say here - would you care to explain?
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

Well. Don't all British soldiers have to attend church. And Fry being anti religion, I just thought it would be a good combo. You could instead take Bear and Fry out climbing with you..... But that wouldn't make very good TV would it?

Jim C 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:
Are these programmes not old , I seem to recall hearing about this a while back, one was with Fry and one with Miranda .

csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> Well. Don't all British soldiers have to attend church. And Fry being anti religion, I just thought it would be a good combo. You could instead take Bear and Fry out climbing with you..... But that wouldn't make very good TV would it?

As far as I know there's no requirement to attend church - Unless it's a recent introduction - And I doubt that many of my climbs would make good TV. Al Evans would probably be able to comment with authority here, but I imagine it would be quite hard to set up a route like say, Castle ridge for filming every move in real time. Also although I'd have no problem climbing with Stephen Fry, I am a bit picky about the company I keep...
 Gone 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

Look on the bright side. The next time we have a "can I make a DIY via ferrata kit with a couple of slings" thread we won't need to go on for ages about fall factors and forces, as the debate can be resolved merely by considering "do you want to look like Bear Grylls?"
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

I'm sorry to say CSW but our relationship has ran it's coarse and become a little bit pointless.

Sooooo..... I want a divorce, I've filed the papers today.

Spread your wings and fly, my little butterfly!
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Once again your meaning escapes me - If that means you won't be responding to my comments then I'm more than fine with that, but if you think I'm going to deny myself the fun of taking the piss out of you, then I have to disillusion you I'm afraid
 spearing05 26 Dec 2013
In reply to althesin:

As I saw it, they didn't abseil of a jammed knot, they nearly used this to create a hand line in order to get close to the edge and look for a way down, they abseiled off a bowline around a boulder though I saw no sign of a stopper knot.

Re the via ferrata on slings, they were traversing so there was no danger of a vertical fall coming to an abrupt end on the next bracket.

I'm not trying to defend the guy, just that any mudslinging needs to be factual and as others have said, this is a tv production aimed at a target audience. I'm pretty sure most actresses don't wake up with perfect make up and hair yet that's how is always shown on the tv. Till I've met/spoken/climbed with the guy my opinion shall remain open in the knowledge a lot of what he does on screen will be s much the will of the producer/director as his.
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:
You can carry on as much as you like buddy, I'm quite flattered that you seem to love following me around. It wasn't you at my window last night was it, with a pepperami mini in your hand?
Post edited at 15:01
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I don't follow you around - it's just that when I do come across you on here you're invariably saying something either stupid or nasty. As for the guy with the pepperami mini in his hand - it wasn't me, but you strike me as someone who can conjure all sorts of things from his imagination.
 xplorer 26 Dec 2013
In reply to csw:

You, me, bear, a bible and a bath? What you say?
 csw 26 Dec 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Nothing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...