UKC

Ice axe advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Amos 26 Dec 2013
Having got into winter mountaineering I find myself looking at ice axes, but I am undecided as what to get.
My first thought was to get a pair of dmm flys, they seem to cover a broad range, but I don't know if they would be any use as a walking axe.
I was also looking at a pair of quarks and an alpnie mountaineering axe, dmm cirque or climbing technology alpin tour. This way i could use a walking axe and for low grade ground pair it up with one of the quarks if required. I don't want to buy the flys and then find myself wanting to buy something a little bit more techincal.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
 Fiona Reid 26 Dec 2013
In reply to matta:

I have quarks and totally love them so maybe just a bit biased....

My suggestion fwiw would be to get a nice pair of technical axes ideally with t-rated picks and if you're trying to save some money get a walking axe second hand - there are heaps on eBay etc.

With the technical axes try them in a shop to get a feel for weight, grip etc and pick something that suits you, your hand size etc. I found leashes a total faff so would always now go for something that has a grip rest and can be used leashless. Quarks or similar are not great for plunging into the snow as the grip rests get in the way.
 jas wood 26 Dec 2013
In reply to matta:
Would personally get a matching pair to climb with(really need to swing some to tell what you want)fly's are good mind and get a second hand 8ft antique to walk with. i have three i would gladly give away !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...