UKC

Boar of Badenoch this afternooon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
Got up late, as you do on Boxing Day, to blue skies and apocalyptic forecasts for tomorrow and the day after. So I thought it had better be something quick today before it all goes pear-shaped again.

Zoomed up to Drumochter and headed up the only hillside that had sunshine on it, which happened to be the Boar. Then skied down it again.

Heavy going through thick cruddy snow; not very easy to make turns, or do anything really except drift sideways on a slanting contour, sit down, swap the skis over and drift sideways in the other direction. Well, I tried doing proper turns but I just fell over...

Enjoyable, in a perverse sort of way, but I can't say I'm sorry I didn't pay anything to do that. I wonder how Glen Shee was today? It was open apparently.
 peebles boy 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Amazing sometimes how the effort/reward ratio can sometimes be so skewed yet you still come away happy! We made a 2m high snowball today on an otherwise uninteresting day out in the snow/porridge, which made the day entirely worthwhile!!
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Do you have photographic evidence?

It's too damn warm, is what. The snow would be excellent if it was 3 degrees colder. That's all we need. Grrr!
 peebles boy 26 Dec 2013

Got photos of it at 1.5m, before I gave it a fateful "final push" down the hill and it split into 3 pieces...!!
Yep, a good drop in the freezing level would be very welcome right now. Instead, storm force winds again. Sigh.
 Mike-W-99 26 Dec 2013

Looked like car to car touring though in Drumochter? If you'd gone a wee bit further north Carn na Caim looked really good and being higher the snow would have been good.

Much more snow there than Cairngorm.
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Didn't have time. I didn't leave the car till 1315.
Slugain Howff 26 Dec 2013

Toured up between the fences and on to Glas Maol this morning - continuous but variable snow from the car park and beyond but the visibility was appalling in that " am I facing uphill or downhill sort of way".
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Yeah, being able to see where you're going is prime... Like I said, I chose The Boar because it wasn't in the cloud. My original target was the Munro top on the side of A' Bhuidheanach Beag, but I sacked that when I saw what things were actually looking like, and also because I hadn't got up early enough.

I know what you mean about that weird feeling you get when you're skiing in a whiteout, and you can't actually tell whether you're going uphill or downhill, or indeed whether you're moving or stationary. I hate that. Feels disconcerting and dangerous to be that far out of your own reckoning.
 DaveHK 26 Dec 2013

I've had to sit down on a slope before to make sure I had stopped moving.

This is another reason why ski touring in Scotland is such a fickle business. You need for there to be snow. You want it to be half decent snow (I'll settle for anything that isn't ice or crust) and ideally you'd like to see where you're going.

How often does all that come together?

Of course its magic when it does.
 alasdair19 26 Dec 2013

thanks for the report tim. Is the ground still pretty warm or was there a chanvce for it to freeze before the snowa arrived?
 Aly 26 Dec 2013
Glenshee didn't have much open but snow was good on the (two) open runs.

Great freshies off north through North East facing aspects of the cairnwell if you wert willing to skin for a bit and the sun came out around lunchtime making the skiing excellent. Glas Maol stayed in the cloud but I bet the Caenlochan bowl and lines off Cairn a Tuirc etc are excellent. Careful with the snowpack, mind.

I saw a few tourers heading up sunny side into the cloud who might have made it over to Glas Maol.
Post edited at 20:51
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to alasdair19:

Black mush under the porridge, I'm afraid. Needs a good sharp freeze
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

> Of course its magic when it does.

Absolutely. And also, if you just go with the flow of whatever comes along, you can have a brilliant time in crap snow. Looks like several of us have today--I certainly did
Removed User 26 Dec 2013

A friend of mine who lived in Aviemore some years ago had a neighbour who was known locally as The Bore of Badenoch.

In certain company therefore, stating something along the lines of "I had a great session up the BofB this afternoon.." could be taken the wrong way.

Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Aly:

Thanks, Aly. How much did your lift-pass cost you? That put me off going to the Shee, frankly--I couldn't see anything on the website about discounts. When they only have 6 out of 30 or whatever lifts open, I don't think full-price is on, really.

But anyway I could see the skiing was going to be pretty coarse--no point going to the Shee for conditions as rough as a badger's A, when you can get those for free by going somewhere you've never skied before. That was the thought-process, anyway
Tim Chappell 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:

And they called his wife... ?

forcan 27 Dec 2013

Claybokie and Sunnyside (and the Dink-Dink) were the only tows open - the car park was half-full, and the queues were long... I strapped my skis to my rucksack and climbed the Cairnwell out of spite instead - had a good run down the Tiger!

It was the queues I objected to, not the ticket price, cause I have a season ticket this year!
Haggis Trap 27 Dec 2013

No such thing as bad snow, only bad skiers Went ski touring at Glenshee and thought the conditions were pretty decent. Cloud cleared as predicted by MWIS and there was plenty good snow if you picked the right aspects.

I guess the Boer of Badenoch is only 739m, so about the same height as the Cairnwell café at Glenshee. Never skied it - but can imagine it would be nice if you want a wee boxing day bimble from the road.
Tim Chappell 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Haggis Trap:

>No such thing as bad snow, only bad skiers

I'm sure you're right, yet I'm a much better skier on good snow... on a bluebird day in the back corrie at Glas Maol I wedel like a boss

moffatross 27 Dec 2013
Agreed, Glenshee was a great place to tour yesterday and it was worth arriving early, starting with a skin up to the Cairnwell for totally fresh tracks down the Tiger which was in great condition. An elevenses bacon roll at the cafe readied us for our first climb to Carn Aosda and an amazing run out through Dubh Coire and a lunch stop. A climb back up to Carn Aosda warmed us up for a ski down the north ridge and back to the A93 via Cruinn Choire to the hitch hike back. Thanks whoever you were for stopping, much appreciated . Great snow to be found everywhere, some spells of perfect visibility and even the claggy bits were nothing like Scotland's claggiest offerings.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3651
Tim Chappell 27 Dec 2013
In reply to moffatross:

OK, maybe I wasn't high enough. But there wasn't time to get higher, except by going to Glen Shee. And I wanted to go somewhere else.
moffatross 27 Dec 2013
Yep, Glenshee's extra elevation was worthwhile, as was being further East for the better viz. As for going somewhere else, even though we started somewhere familiar, the runs north of Aosda that we ended up skiing were new to us so it mostly felt like somewhere else.

P.S. If you're not aware, there are two detailed, short term, high resolution weather models publicly available which can sometimes help with decision making for things like cloud cover on a granular level. These are data sources used by the likes of MWIS and the Met Office to help create their mountain forecasts and I'm fairly sure they are both produced by the Met Office's own supercomputers. The 950 hPa temperatures on the NAE in particular can also give an indication of whether snow is likely to be soft or crusty at the 600-750 m ASL range, if you know what the preceding conditions were.

NAE 48 hour ... http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000...

EURO4 48 hour ... http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000...
Post edited at 13:06
Tim Chappell 27 Dec 2013
In reply to moffatross:

That's useful, Ross--thanks for going to that trouble.
moffatross 27 Dec 2013

No worries. FWIW, if the A93 hadn't been open at 8 am, we'd have likely ended up in the same hills as you did, only 4 hours sooner.
 Mark Bull 27 Dec 2013
In reply to moffatross:

> I'm fairly sure they are both produced by the Met Office's own supercomputers.

Yes, that's correct.

> The 950 hPa temperatures on the NAE in particular can also give an indication of whether snow is likely to be soft or crusty at the 600-750 m ASL range, if you know what the preceding conditions were.

Except when 950hPa is at sea level, as it is today in the west of Scotland! (The contours on the 950hPa height/temp charts tell you the height of the 950mb surface - units are in 10s of metres.)

Tim Chappell 27 Dec 2013
In reply to moffatross:

OK, I'll give you a bell next time I'm going somewhere; you guys can break trail for me
moffatross 27 Dec 2013

Ha ha !!

In reply to Mark Bull:

Yep, technically that's correct but not when it comes to making a best guess as to the snow surface temperature on a day you'd actually consider going skiing. In fact, on any day that 950 hPa values are approaching sea level, that'd also be a good indicator that it'd be a much, much better idea to spend your time on forums talking about being in the mountains when they weren't or when they won't be, rather than to consider being up one when they actually are. :-p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...