UKC

Staving off Turbo Trainer Boredom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Green Porridge 26 Dec 2013
So, the wife gained herself some brownie points by getting me a Turbo Trainer for Christmas Leaving aside the fact that it could be just an attempt to try to get me to lose some weight (dark, cold nights reduce my cycling and even running significantly over the winter), I'm pleased, but looking for a way to make an apparently mindlessly boring activity a bit more exciting.

So, what would people recommend for an hour or so of training? I'm trying to add in some structure and improved training effects as well as just staving off boredom. I've got a heartrate monitor. Here are the options I've been thinking of...

a) Music + heartrate training programme off the internet
b) Watching some Tour / Giro / Vuelta + heartrate training programme off the internet
c) Some kind of film or some description (not necessarily cycling related) + heartrate training programme off the internet
d) Forking out for a sufferfest video

I've seen a lot of people recommending sufferfest videos. Are there any particularly good ones/does to avoid? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers, and merry Christmas!
 steev 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Green Porridge:

If you have an ANT+ speed sensor (like you get with a Garmin, for example) then you can use a program such a trainerroad to give you estimated power readings as well as giving you structured workouts.

Otherwise, sufferfest is pretty good. You can get a beginner pack that's got Angels and The Downward Spiral, both of which will let you know you've been working
 thermal_t 27 Dec 2013
In reply to steev:

Another + for sufferfest. To be honest I've never really got bored on the turbo, but that's because I've done relatively short but brutal workouts. If you try and do long easy miles I suspect it is mind numbing.
Removed User 27 Dec 2013

I'm doing 45 min workouts at the moment and just watching you tube cycling videos. I've got "the time crunched cyclist" and intend to start one of the programs in the New Year.

I actually don't mind the time on the TT as the alternative is much worse.
 andyinglis 27 Dec 2013

And another vote for the Sufferfest. A wide range of work out's so best perusing individually depending on what your looking for. From what I recall... The Hunted = endurance, Downward Spiral = short(ish) very hard efforts interspersed with rests, Angels = endurance and gradually increasing efforts. About another 7 or 8 to choose from though.

Andy
Removed User 27 Dec 2013
In reply to andyinglis:

Regarding Sufferfest:

Excusing my ignorance, but how do they actually work? Is it simply a "follow the narrative" or is there some sort of link up to the bike?
Post edited at 14:47
 sleavesley 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed User:
You can follow the narrative, but if you use trainerroad app, they link certain videos with the workout. You then follow the work out along with the video.
Trainerroad is $9.99 US or approx £6.31 I think I'm charged with bank fees for non sterling DD.
Along with this you purchase said videos from sufferfest.
You will also need a ANT+ speed and cadence sensor such as the garmin GSC 10 and an ANT+ receiver and I use the Suunto Movestick as it's smaller and cheaper than the garmin. Once you have these set up your good to go.

In fairness if I had plenty of money I would go for the tacx VR trainer and buy the specific DVDs as well to train to.
Removed User 27 Dec 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Thanks. I'll look into it. I rejected the idea of the Tacx VR as it was about $1500 from memory.
 sleavesley 27 Dec 2013

Yeah nothing wrong with your memory
andy guppy 27 Dec 2013

Sufferfest definately :] or http://www.successcycling.co.uk/ have some good training dvds.
Guppy
 steve taylor 27 Dec 2013

One more vote for Sufferfest - they keep me going on the exercise bike. Time just flies by when you use them.

I need to use them in a more structured manner though, maybe following their training plans. A friend uses Trainer Road - not tried it myself yet, but he swears by it.
andymac 27 Dec 2013

iPod does it for me.

Without it ,my interest ,or dedication would have faded.

Skol 27 Dec 2013
In reply to andymac:

I've got an old, 3 roller trainer. I never lose interest as I need to keep the front wheel on the roller.
In reply to all:
Thanks all! It sounds like sufferfest will be my first port of call then. I'm slightly sceptical about whether I'll enjoy being yelled at by my laptop to work harder... If they don't work, then I think I'll just get myself a success cycling video, and try and work a training plan to that.

Also Andy - good to hear from you - I hope you're doing well mate - I was just showing someone photos of our Rjukan trip just today...
Post edited at 21:08
 Tom Hutton 02 Jan 2014

No yelling involved... inspirational footage really. The warm down/up in the middle of Angels is just wonderful. What would you give to be there...

ajsteele 02 Jan 2014

Thats only for the very top end VR trainer, you can get a Tacx i-flow vr trainer for about £350
 Shuttsie 07 Jan 2014

IPod - with LOTS of FUNKY ASS BEAT dance tunes!!!!! Seriously. It works.
Removed User 07 Jan 2014

Turbo training is a great way to make time stand still.

I've spun my way through a couple of series of The Wire & Sons of Anarchy, Shrek, various rugby matches and MotoGP races and even episodes of Question Time. Staring out the window at bird feeder action can work quite well too.

A friend of a friend used to train for the PBP by spinning for hours facing a blank wall until he started nodding off. Seemingly he was quite adept at cycling while barely awake.
 Edd Reed 08 Jan 2014

Liking that one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...