UKC

The Living Mountain (Cairngorms), BBC R4 30/12/13 16:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 27 Dec 2013
 Doug 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Thanks for the reminder, long been one of my favourite books & I hope they do it justice
 Doug 28 Dec 2013

have you seen http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/27/nan-shepherd-vision-cairngorms... ?

Good to see the reprint has been a success,wonder what her poems are like ?
Tim Chappell 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Doug:

I hope it's all good; I've just spent my/ our Christmas cash on it
Douglas Griffin 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Doug:

Yes, thanks Doug - Neil linked that article on his original Twitter post.

I've ordered the book too.
 Only a hill 29 Dec 2013

Such a great book - one of the best I've read about the Cairngorms I think.
 Mark Collins 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Agreed, read like a dream for me.
Douglas Griffin 30 Dec 2013
A wee reminder - 4pm this afternoon.
 Doug 30 Dec 2013

Another reminder, on in about five minutes.
 Mark Bull 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Doug:

Many thanks for pointing this out - it was a good listen!
llechwedd 30 Dec 2013

A great book,and perhaps without the addition of Macfarlane's lengthy introduction, a book that wouldn't be so widely known. It's clear he's passionate about 'The Living Mountain'.
He writes in the introduction that it 'is a formidably difficult book to describe', spending 25 pages introducing her 108.

I'm not sure why he doesn't just let her writing speak for itself. For me, the Cambridge over-intellectualising of her 'elementals'-which in her own writing leave enough for individual perception- pollute the experience.

Make a work of art and beauty out of the mountain experience, don't then be our clever guide to it.
The Broadcast wasn't all bad. I enjoyed the soundscape of the Wells of Dee and the water falling beyond. There's more audio of that trip here.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/audioslideshow/2013/dec/27/robert-macfarla...
 Robert Durran 30 Dec 2013
In reply to llechwedd:

> I'm not sure why he doesn't just let her writing speak for itself. For me, the Cambridge over-intellectualising of her 'elementals'-which in her own writing leave enough for individual perception- pollute the experience.

I think you are over-criticising; you can always ignore Macfarlane and just read the book if you don't feel he adds anything for you.

I thought both the book and the programme were wonderful.
llechwedd 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

> ..you can always ignore Macfarlane and just read the book if you don't feel he adds anything for you.

> I thought both the book and the programme were wonderful.

Difficult to ignore the first 25 pages of a book.
I start at the beginning of a book unless it's the Screwfix Catalogue.
His first page reads easily enough, but before long- Nooo!
It's in my brain now.
'She has an Andy Goldworthy-ish eye' . No, she had her own eye.
'..says Shepherd Zennishly'. No. says Shepherd. In her own way. Directly perceived.
'a Hy Brasil..', 'Merleau-Ponty..' ,. WTF!
Let her speak for herself. That's what her book is doing.

It's not as if he's Ruskin translating the genius of a painter like Turner into words.

Having said that, Macfarlane's Mountains of the mind is a superb book.

DaveHK 31 Dec 2013
In reply to llechwedd:
I agree with you wholeheartdly. That introduction was an unforgiveable indulgence on MacFarlanes part. I read the first 2 pages thn skipped the rest.
Post edited at 11:47
 Cuthbert 31 Dec 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd recommend anything by Adam Watson or Seton Gordon about the Cairn Gorms. These guys really know and knew the place.
 felt 31 Dec 2013
In reply to llechwedd:

> He writes in the introduction that it 'is a formidably difficult book to describe', spending 25 pages introducing her 108.

When a cat's known as "Mr Introduction" he has to live up to his name.
 Robert Durran 31 Dec 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> I agree with you wholeheartdly. That introduction was an unforgiveable indulgence on MacFarlanes part. I read the first 2 pages thn skipped the rest.

..... which is the correct thing to do if you don't like it......llechwedd take note!
Post edited at 13:19
In reply to llechwedd:

> Having said that, Macfarlane's Mountains of the mind is a superb book.

A rehash of well known mountaineering history which fails to add anything original.

The extraordinary The wild Places, on the other hand, I found an almost life changing read.
In reply to Saor Alba:

> I'd recommend anything by Adam Watson or Seton Gordon about the Cairn Gorms. These guys really know and knew the place.

I imagine Seton Gordon isn't read much nowadays. He should be. Macfarlane should use his celebrity to chapion him too!
 felt 31 Dec 2013

> almost life changing

An interesting concept. A bit like almost pregnant?
llechwedd 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

> I'd recommend anything by Adam Watson or Seton Gordon about the Cairn Gorms. These guys really know and knew the place.

Have you read Watson's 'It's a Fine Day for the Hill'? I'm intruiged by the title.

On a cairngorm related topic, there's a good breadth of news here too

http://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2013/07/
Douglas Griffin 31 Dec 2013
In reply to llechwedd:

> Have you read Watson's 'It's a Fine Day for the Hill'? I'm intruiged by the title.

I have - bought it this time last year. Not cheap, but an absolutely superb book, with several chapters devoted to memoirs of Bob Scott and Tom Patey which ought to be of interest to many on this forum in particular.

There's a review by OMR (aka Neil Reid) here:
http://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/adam-watson-its-a-fine-da...

llechwedd 31 Dec 2013

Thanks Douglas.

Which Seton Gordon book would people go for?
llechwedd 31 Dec 2013

In my own neck of the woods, Nant Ffrancon, the artist who creates and transmits that same connectivity to a place, as Nan Shepherd did for the cairngorms, is the painter David Woodford. Very keen also on the subject of elemental associations.

His work is relatively unfashionable these days. He is no mere draughtsman churning out the usual tourist prints of mountains. Here he is, attempting to explain what his work is about ( warning; it's a bit heavy going in places). His paintings speak for themselves though.

http://www.davidwoodford.co.uk/File%20exchange/Catalogue%20PDFs/Elemental%2...
In reply to llechwedd:

> Which Seton Gordon book would people go for?

I've not read it, but The Cairngorm Hills of Scotland made quite an impression on the young Adam Watson. It's out of print, though.

llechwedd 31 Dec 2013

> I've not read it, but The Cairngorm Hills of Scotland made quite an impression on the young Adam Watson. It's out of print, though.

In my local library just managed to reserve Highways and Byways, by SG.
There's also a Cairngorms anthology of SG's writings (not the book you've cited) by Hamish Brown available, and an Adam Watson/SMC Cairngorms book which I've also reserved.
Good old libraries!

In reply to llechwedd:

I have a copy of the Adam Watson SMC Cairngorms guide. A real work of art, that book.

There was a wonderful article about Adam Watson during that exceptionally cold and snowy spell we had here in Aberdeenshire in 2009:
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/feb/07/weather
In reply to llechwedd:

Incidentally, my copy of The Living Mountain arrived today. Just dipped into the first chapter, looks very fine indeed.

Happy New Year to all.
llechwedd 31 Dec 2013

Thanks for that link to the great article in the Guardian.
 OMR 02 Jan 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

As Douglas said, The Cairngorm Hills of Scotland is the one to go for, but also very good on the Cairngorms is his earlier book The Charm of the Hills. Also out of print, but perhaps easier to track down.
llechwedd 02 Jan 2014
In reply to OMR:

Thanks for that.
Keep up the great blog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...