UKC

petzl ecrin compatible hoods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davy_boy 27 Dec 2013
looking for some collective ukc wisdom here. im thinking about a new hardshell jacket and I am looking for recommendations of jackets that work with ecrin roc helmets or even ski helmets.
I currently have an old mountain hardwear shell which fits my climbing helmet and a mountain equipment changabang which doesn't fit allover the helmet seems to sit about 2/3ds the way over. I also have an arcteryx gamma mx softshell jacket which has a great helmet which swallows all helmets even my ski helmet.
does anybody know if rab latok alpine jackets have a decent hood size on them ? or any other jackets or makes that people know fit larger helmets.
 cliff shasby 27 Dec 2013
In reply to davy_boy:
Like u say the gamma mx hood is huge,likewise so is the alpha sv hood(my next hardshell) but expensive..!
OP davy_boy 27 Dec 2013
In reply to cliff shasby:

yea I had looked at that jacket cant really justify the expense though as I only use it in bad weather it would spend most of the time in the sack. ideally looking for something lightweight and cheaper like the latok alpine or similar jackets.
 Retro Rowan 27 Dec 2013
In reply to davy_boy:

Hiya, I've got the ecrin roc helmet and a Rab Latok jacket and it fits all the way over and that's a large sized jacket. but the best thing to do is take the helmet to a shop and try on some jackets with it.
OP davy_boy 27 Dec 2013
In reply to davy_boy:

thanks for the info that was my plan just getting some ideas before hitting the shops. my rab belay jacket has a massive hood but wasn't sure if the rest of the rab range had large hoods.
OP davy_boy 30 Dec 2013
In reply to davy_boy:

anybody else got any recommendations ?
Mike-Tango 01 Jan 2014

Look up these jackets:

Berghaus Attrition II - best hood I ever worn over a helmet with lots of kit in it, goggles , headlamp, visor hat etc.

Newest range of the ME goretex PRO jackets, redesigned hoods- amazing fit , works very well with bigger helmets plus the hood itself comeswith a silicone finish so it sticks better to the helmet.

Arcteryx Alpha - just make sure it's a larger size so it fits better.

RAB Neo Stretch , go one size up and it will be all rocknroll, using one now and I'm very pleased with the fit.

Mammut Gipfelgrat and Nordwand pro , amazing fit, all their softshells and hard shells easily take larger helmets.

Montane Alpine Endurance - great cut hood, will take any size helmet, great design.
Post edited at 22:04
OP davy_boy 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike-Tango:

thanks for the great info exactly what I was looking for. I had wondered if the newer ME jackets had different hoods from the older models. very interested in the neo stretch jacket just not sure how it compares with goretex pro especialy in heavy rain and long term durability.
Mike-Tango 18 Jan 2014
In reply to davy_boy:

Hi .
I tried Neo stretch first in North Wales ,Tryfan couple of months ago in a very common welsh weather... and i was very impressed. Few days alter went for a walk on the SDW and got caught in a horizontal rain also common in here and .. I was laughing. I love this jacket, going to Scotland next month, taking it with me.

Cheers

M
Mike-Tango 18 Jan 2014
In reply to davy_boy:

aha NEW MEs , yes the hood design is totally different, no way to put the old and new ones together. New hoods are very good, biiiiig and the collar is way much better, for the first time I have a ME jacket that doesn't dig in my face when worn with a helmet. Very good cut, sleeves longer- big plus.
OP davy_boy 18 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike-Tango:

Excellent mate I had a feeling they had updated there jackets. Im now torn between north face kichatna and the Me tupilak to many choices lol although the north face jacket is looking more likely at the moment due to removable snow skirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...