UKC

What slings for slingdraws?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jack_44 27 Dec 2013
I'm buying some slings for a few slingdraws for a rack. Basically wondering if 11mm dyneema or 16mm nylon is the best option. I am on a budget so would happily go with the nylon, but a little worried it will be too think for a slingdraw once doubled up a couple of times. Any thoughts??
Thanks.
In reply to jack_44: 8mm Mammut Contact slings are by far the best (IMO much better than the 8mm DMM). Anything else is frankly 2nd best, but if you are on a budget I'd look at Wild Country 10mm dyneema slings. Nylon slings don't really work.

However, it will also depend a fair bit on what carabiners you are using. There is a appreciable size difference between something 'full size' like the DMM Thor, DMM Spectre, WC Helium and super light wiregates like the Edelrid 19G or DMM Phantom. With the former 11mm/12mm dyneema will probably be eminently workable but with the lightest/smallest krabs 8mm (or 10mm) will be far better.

CurlyStevo 28 Dec 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I use heliums (/full size) on my sling draws specifically for the case where you use them trippled up - to better load the biners along the back bar.

im fairly happy with 11mm dmm slings, they seem reasonably durable and light. Tried quite a few myself, I guess the mammut ones I did like, but I heard a few horror stories about quick draws with super skinny slings snapping (due to use / wear but still), and thought better of it.

Dont know if the story is true but I guess skinnier gear must be less durable.
 dmor9 28 Dec 2013
In reply to jack_44:

yhm
 jezb1 28 Dec 2013
In reply to jack_44:

8mm are the ones to go for as has already been said. Anything else feels a bit crap in comparison.

Use phantoms for my sling draws which work really well.
OP jack_44 28 Dec 2013
In reply to jack_44:

I was going to use spectre2 crabs. 8mm dyneema seems a little thin to me? Although maybe i'm just thinking the thicker the better? The 16mm nylon slings seem good value though.
 crayefish 28 Dec 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I agree. 8mm slings are best. In fact they are tops in nearly all applications.

Why do you think the Mammut ones are better though? I have no experience with them but I love the DMM ones (which I use). Nearly all their trad products I love.

I have mine on spectre 2s which is my binner of choice for most things. Reasonably light and pretty cheap (especially at needle-sports which have them on sale). Only for things like nutkeys and spring leashes do I use something smaller like a phantom.
 Mountain Llama 28 Dec 2013
In reply to jack_44: Hi Jack

I Wud agree with the other posters that 8mm dyneema is the best as they take up the least space when racked on your harness.

I currently use 10mm dyneema for my 60cm sling draws which are a few years old but still have life in them yet and not to bulky on harness.

16mm nylon will be to wide imho and make raking a pain.

Needlesports have some good offers for krabs and slings which will not break the bank.

I have a 120cm 8mm dyneema sling I use all the time and its been on my harness for the last 4 years and still going strong, so I would not worry re ware for thin dyneema slings.

HTH Davey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...