UKC

Slings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kassius 28 Dec 2013
Building my rack and just wondering where I should start with slings what's essential sizes should I need ?
Climbing in Derbyshire
 tehmarks 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

A couple of 60cm and one or two 120cm should do you well to begin with. You can't have enough 60cm (racked as slingdraws) in my opinion.
In reply to Sempafi:

A good length I find is 240 and 120cm slings doesn't matter too much what they're made of: nylon or dyneema have pros and cons but most of mine are dyneema. I'd recomnend at least 2 of each and maybe a few 60cms too. Each to their own really.
 crayefish 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

In 8mm dyneema I have a 240, two 120s, two 60s racked and two 60s in alpine draws.

Then I have in 20mm dyneema a 120 for abbing, and also a 60 and 120 in nylon which I sometimes take for 'tat' if there is a route I think the chance of retreating might be higher.

Finally I have a 21 foot cordlette.

Though this is quite a large selection used for alpine and trad. As a start I'd say a 240, 2x120 and 2x60 in 8mm dyneema (might as well start light or you'll only re-buy later) and then a wider 120 for rigging the belay and personal anchor for abbing.
OP Kassius 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

Cheers guys
 martinph78 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

Depends what you want them for, but don't rule out nylon slings for durability and price. I have a bag full of nylon slings that I use for rigging top ropes and for cowstails also.
 Andypeak 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

my 2'40 sling is the most used piece of gear i own. Can't remember the last anchor I set up without using it
OP Kassius 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

http://bit.ly/19s8rqc

Would a set like this be ok
 timmeehhhh 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

I'd rather go for something like this and later add some more 60cm ones:

http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/dmm_11mm_dyneema_slings_mixed_se...
 Otis 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

8mm dyneema saves a few grams over 12mm, but you need to be a bit more careful with your placements of the slings and how you use them. There's more margin for error in 12mm as they're a bit more robust. If you're just starting out there's an argument for going for 12mm (I did!).

Many people wear slings across their chest when actually climbing. If you're doing this I'd say that weight isn't as big an issue so go for 12s (I certainly don't choose my jumper or tee shirt based on its weight!!). If you're going to be racking it on your harness (say 240cm or longer) then perhaps go 8mm to keep weight off your harness.

Mike
 Steve nevers 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Sempafi:

Gear4rocks don't make the best stuff. DMM/Wild Country/Lyon slings are easy to get hold of and made by more 'trusted' companies.

I carry a mix of slings, some Dyneema, some Nylon, even some Aramid and a couple of those newfangled 'Tech Web' things made by Edelrid. (They are a Dyneema core with a Polyamid sheath) The last two i mainly carry because i'm a gearwhore.

Always seem to carry at least one 25-30mm Lyon sling for bomber belays/anchors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...