UKC

Sleeper bus or Train?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 29 Dec 2013
Which is more comfortable?

Heading up to Aviemore in February and looking at transport the sleeper train (reclining seat) and sleeper bus (bed) are roughly the same price for the dates I need.

Anyone been on both, which is more comfortable? I like the sound of the bed on the bus but I usually try to avoid coach travel as its usually cramped and miserable. However, I am not sure about the reclining seat on the train. I have used similar services abroad and found the reclining seats to be very uncomfortable for sleeping in. A bed on the train is not an option due to being 4x more expensive than a seat for the dates I'm travelling.

Thanks
Removed User 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M:

not done the bus option but can tell you that reclining seats on trains is a total bummer.
OP Alan M 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> not done the bus option but can tell you that reclining seats on trains is a total bummer.

That's my worry I've used reclining seats on trains all over Europe and Canada and never enjoyed it. I find it hard to think that the UK trains will be any different. Think I'm leaning towards the bus at least its a bed.
 thin bob 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M:

depending on the timings, probably bed on coach.
Recliner on (Australian) train overnight was pretty awful, i'd rather sleep on the floor. PLanes similarly.

If you get the train, will you just be hanging around anyway when you get there, or can you get straight off & away?
 thin bob 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M:

If the train takes 'only' 4-5 hours or something, it'd be tolerable (and trains are nicer to travel on generally, though some coach seats & coaches can be nice).

If you need a decent-ish kip, coach bed would probably be a bit bumpier/swervier but perhaps easier/more comfortable to sleep. as long as it doesn't keep stopping
 1poundSOCKS 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M: I've been on a sleeper bus in Vietnam. Bloody uncomfortable, I didn't sleep at all, and the roads are worse in Scotland.

Trangia 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Have you looked at the price of a sleeper (full stretch bunk) on the Caledonian Sleeper Train?

I came back on it from Aviemore in 2012 and it only cost me £30 extra over and above the seat ticket. I felt it was well worth the money and I gor a good night's sleep.
Jim C 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:
I've Done 24 hours on a reclining seat on a ferry ( in a storm)
in truth, I quickly found the floor preferable , though that might have been a lot to do with the rolling of the ship. In hindsight the cost for a cabin with a bed rather than the recliner, would have been worth the extra money.

So, of what you describe if you can't afford the bed on the train, a bed on a cramped bus sounds good, and possibly better than a recliner on the train. ( how long is the journey?)
OP Alan M 29 Dec 2013
In reply to thin bob:

The train arrives about 8am the bus arrives at 10am. On the day of arrival I will be meeting up with freinds so I am in no rush to be anywhere other than the hotel.

The only difference is that the train I can get from Crewe at 23:50 (I am near Liverpool) the bus I will need to get to London for 23:00. However there is less than £10 difference in cost getting from Liverpool to London (Train) and then bus overnight to Aviemore than getting the train from Liverpool to Crewe and then to Aviemore.

Taking the train in one day from Liverpool to Aviemore is considerably more expensive than using the night train/bus for the dates I need.
OP Alan M 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Trangia:

> Have you looked at the price of a sleeper (full stretch bunk) on the Caledonian Sleeper Train?

> I came back on it from Aviemore in 2012 and it only cost me £30 extra over and above the seat ticket. I felt it was well worth the money and I gor a good night's sleep.

The dates I need the sleeper train bunk is over £100 compared to £35 for a reclining seat that's from Crewe.
OP Alan M 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C:

Journey Times:

Train: 1 hour Liverpool to Crewe - 8 Hours Crewe to Aviemore so about 9hours Travelling if everything on time.

Bus:
Liverpool to London Train (2 hours) - London to Aviemore 11 hours so approx. 13 hours if everything on time.

Just found an advanced ticket which brings the train (full bunk) down to £77 each way. So double the bus (bed) ticket which is £35 each way.
 MG 29 Dec 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Get the bunk- one day being awake is worth the extra.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...