UKC

What skis should I buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joe G 30 Dec 2013
I could do with a new pair of skis. I currently have Rossignol Bandit B2s and Fritschi Diamir Freeride bindings. I'll keep the bindings and transfer them over to new skis. I was wondering about just getting a new (or newish secondhand) pair of the same skis but as they're the only decent pair of skis I've ever had I'm not sure really what's out there or how other skis would compare. I've read some favourable reviews on K2 Backup and Waybacks, and I see there are a lot of other Rossignols out there, some of which might suit better than what I have...

I'm looking for something that'll do everything, which I appreciate will always be a compromise, but I'm after a good all round mountain ski that'll cope with powder, steep stuff, piste, skinning up etc, to be used in Scotland and abroad.
Srick 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Joe G:

I think your pretty much on the spot there with the K2 wayback and backup's. They have a great reputation. Personally i use Black diamond verdicts. They are great all mountain ski's, though i would say they are way to wide under the foot for piste, unless you really push them.

Ive also used some Movment gladiators. They are great! around 90 under the foot, great on piste as well as offpiste. I really would recommend getting around 90mm waist for a great all rounder.
OP Joe G 30 Dec 2013
In reply to RichardAWatson:

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look and see what deals are out there
In reply to Joe G: I've just purchased Voile Vectors which I can definitely recommend.
 smithaldo 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Joe G:
The rossignol s series are amazing skis as all rounders would reccomend them to anyone.
 DaveHK 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Joe G:

Waybacks are a great touring ski and give good soft snow performance for their dimensions.

On piste, in difficult conditions or if you ski agressively they will show their limitations. I think you'll notice this coming from Bandits.

If you can get to one of the xscape ski centres with an Ellis Brighams they will lt you test skis. Limited obviously but will give you an idea.
OP Joe G 08 Jan 2014
Thanks everyone for your advice, I bought a pair of Backups, £230 at Craigdon, which seemed like a good deal. Now I can look forward to skiing on brand new skis for the first time in my life
 NottsRich 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Joe G:

Do brand new skis need to be waxed before using them, or is it better to use them for a day or so and then wax them? I've heard differing views so far.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...