UKC

leida - options if it rains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm heading out to Leida on 1 Jan. Forecast is a bit iffy. I've been twice before and got the impression that the wet weather options are limited unless you can climb hideously hard on the very steepest crags.

If it craps out I'm going to be looking for somewhere with a sheltered aspect or capping roof and routes in the 6a-7a range. Don't mind even a fairly long drive if it gets me to somewhere reliable for the day. I'm staying in Vilanova de Meia.

Any suggestions please?
 Pete O'Donovan 31 Dec 2013
In reply to colin struthers:

Hi Colin,

I don't think the forecast is overly pessimistic for the next few days — Saturday aside you shouldn't get more than the odd shower.

Unfortunately though, you're basically correct in stating that the majority of Lleida crags on which it's possible to climb in the rain only feature routes from the mid 7's upwards.

Off the top of my head the only stay-dry 6's I can think of are the short climbs in the Disblia caves in Sant Llorenç de Montgai, which are quite pleasant though nothing special.

On the other hand, there are plenty of crags which dry out very quickly in the area around where you're staying: La Pauta, Cubells, Alòs de Balaguer, Abella de la Conca, etc., etc. Vilanova de Meià itself also comes into this category.

Pete.
 Morgan Woods 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:

Margalef might be an ok option if it is light rain. It has a few 6a-7a ish routes that are fairly steep.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 31 Dec 2013

You could go to the big cave for a look and/or do some routes at the Football Pitch Crag:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3433
 flaneur 31 Dec 2013

The cave at La Selva: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=15632

Condo Umbilical and it's neighbours should stay dry.
In reply to flaneur:

Arrived this pm, staying at Casa Cirera in Vilanova which I would definitely recommend.

Forecast has improved and Saturday looks like the only day we'll get rain, when I think we'll head to La Selvas, Camarasa which looks ace

Many thanks for the suggestions

Colin
nicolas durand 05 Jan 2014

I climbed today in abella de la conca, yesterday in futbolin dt linya which stays dry during rain dependent on the wind direction, bruixes terradets the day before, cubelles the day before. All dry dispite huge fog/drizzle in the tremp/isona area for the last few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...