UKC

vapour rise vs strata

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 31 Dec 2013
Anybody had any experience of both. Thinking of getting 1 but cant decide which
 Iain Thow 01 Jan 2014
In reply to David Cowley:

In a nutshell, Strata is warmer, VR is more breathable, especially on muggy days, when it beats pretty much anything in that respect. If you're wanting something to be energetic in, VR will win all the way, while if you want something to keep warm in on a belay or while you eat your butties, go for Strata. Water resistance is pretty decent on the heavier VR but not that great on the lighter ones. I've never got wet in a VR Guide jacket, but have in a VR light (although it was peeing it down). Strata jackets seem in between these for their repellency - a friend has one and finds it excellent for warmth but hasn't really used in more than spitters yet.
Mike-Tango 01 Jan 2014

Strata is way more breathable and the DWR finish seems to be better when new.
I wear it when active and as an insulation under my Neo Stretch. I find these two probably the best combination for intense workouts in wet weather or strong wind. Strata on its own (with a wicking base layer) works really well as a cold windy weather running jacket. Personally I wouldn't recommend it as a belay jacket - it cools down too quick. Fit is amazing, very cozy, can be worn next to the skin and feels great. I'm very pleased with my Strata.
Post edited at 22:19
 BnB 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike-Tango:

Another vote for the Strata. I love my hoody so much I bought the gilet as well. I can hike all day in it over a wicking tee and enjoy comfort across a wide range of temperatures and conditions. It most certainly isn't waterproof, though it will withstand showers, but it layers and breathes well under a decent hardshell. Not a true belay jacket but great for stop-start activities nevertheless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...