UKC

Montane Prism sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 02 Jan 2014
Thinking of getting one online and was wondering about sizing.

I know this is a personal thing but there is nowhere near me to try one on.
 AdCo82 02 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I own pretty much everything outdoor gear wise in a size large and also have the prism in a large.

the body is quite roomy if that helps I think in terms of chest size but the sleeves are not overly long.

hope that helps.

AT
altirando 02 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I always have problems with the width at the top of the chest, but the large size was better than most brands for this - I think a medium might be a bit small for most males, not least for the sleeve length mentioned. Of course it also depends what you wear underneath. A fleece gilet is better than a full fleece sweater.
 RoK 02 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

178cm and 80kg. Size medium is very fitted. Can get a micro fleece under it but that's about it. Sleeves are just that smidge too short though. Pity as it's an ok jacket.

Have an atom lt hoody too and prefer it. Lighter, warmer, better fitting and less clammy. Twice the price at least though!
OP The Lemming 02 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Thanks for that. I too have large jackets, but prefere medium size fleece for a snug fit.

I shall take a punt on large.

BTW, may I ask about your thoughts on the jacket, both good and bad?
 AdCo82 02 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

It's DWR is pretty good I find and I do stay warm in it once the jacket has got wet. I find its wind proofness levels are good.

the quality of the zips are poor. the pocket zips have broken twice and the main zip pulls apart when the waist elastic is tightened, so I just don't bother pulling that tight.

in terms of its actual performance, I think you can't beat it for the price. oh and it packs down nice and small and is pretty light.

glad to be of help

AT
 thedatastream 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm 6' 2", 40" chest and have a medium Prism jacket. A little short in the body, arms are OK but wouldn't want them any shorter. For a lightweight warm jacket to stick in the pack for long walks/runs it is ideal. Surprisingly water resistant too.
 Nigel Thomson 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm quite chunky, but can still crank like a disease if I say so myself and cetainly found all Montane garments much smaller than the likes of TNF and Mountain Equipment.
Very impressed with them though, my shell and belay jackets have taken an utter doing on the mixed and they're holding up well.
Removed User 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I tried one on last week and also a flux jacket, for me a large flux was a good fit but for the prism I needed an extra large, im 6'3" and 14 stone,,,
andymac 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Mines is a small .

And roomy.

Great jacket
 Carolyn 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

The women's sizes also run pretty snug - certainly cut to go over a baselayer and maybe a thin fleece at most, rather than to throw on over multiple thick layers. I went up a size for what I wanted it for.
 Fraser 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I tried a Prism and also a Rab Generator when I was hunting for a lightweight insulated top, and much preferred the fit of the Rab. You hardly feel you're wearing it compared to the Prism. Both were 'mediums', but the Prism felt a bit baggy compared to the Rab, which didn't feel snug as such, it just felt perfect. The arms on the Rab had a better length too. (I'm 6' and about 70kg/11st.)

The Rab also packed down slightly smaller than the Prism, if that's any help, but that's maybe due to the absence of a hood (which I believe doesn't bother you, based on your Alpkit Filo description) and the Prism having a larger stuff pocket.
OP The Lemming 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I am off to Liverpool tomorrow for a spot of bouldering. Is there anywhere in Liverpool that I can buy a Montane Prism?
 AdCo82 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Blacks normally stock them??? That is where I got mine from!!!
 AdCo82 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

p.s I did not get it from the Liverpool Blacks but the Manchester one but worth giving them a ring.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/121690-montane-mens-prism-jacket-black.html
OP The Lemming 03 Jan 2014
In reply to An Triubhas:

Cheers
OP The Lemming 14 Jan 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks everybody for your help.

I got the jacket a few days ago and I have to say that I am very impressed with how light and warm it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...