UKC

Recommend me some mountain gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alexgoodey 03 Jan 2014
Max budget £80

Must be available from Cotswold (I have a voucher burning a hole in my pocket)

Must be waterproof and breathable, suitable for use down to -10'C but not lower (so down mitts would be excessive), ideally with toughened fingers and palm pads for occasional rock clambering. Must be available in XL or XXL size (I have large hands)

Not fussed about appearance

Was thinking about Sealskinz?
 robthered 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:
Not 'waterproof' and don't know about -10, but I've found these to be excellent in Welsh Winter and early summer Alpine use. My hands really feel the cold but these seem to be the ideal for me. Sensitive and resistant enough for climbing/scrambling and fiddling with gear/buckles etc. Fit inside a mitt too if they're not warm enough in certain spots/conditions.

http://tinyurl.com/ob7gqjd
Post edited at 09:23
 Nick Russell 03 Jan 2014
In reply to robthered:

Exactly what I was going to recommend! I used them all last season for winter climbing in Scotland and Wales. As long as you're active, they'll be warm and comfortable, even when wet (not 'waterproof'). I have a big pair of mitts to put on over the top for belays, or stopping for any other reason.
 BnB 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

+1 I have the ME Alpines as well and used them last year for Scottish winter. Wear them under a big mitt for belays and pretty dextrous with axe in hand. Also very good grip on wet rock. Recommended.
 d_b 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

I got a pair of montane extreme gloves a month or so back. I haven't used them much yet, but for the level of insulation they seem to give good dexterity. Palm is leather so should hold up ok, back i'm not so sure about.
 OllieF 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

I've had a pair of Rab Guide gloves for a few months now, I cant vouch that they'll be solid up to -10 because Its not been cold enough in the UK yet but in terms of being waterproof, so far I've not come off the hill with cold or wet hands (even after 10 hour hill days in snow/rain). They also come in XL.

Ollie.
Calski 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

My main and spare gloves are both ME Couloirs which I'm a big fan of - I find them as dry a glove as I've used (marigolds excepted!) and pretty toasty.
 crayefish 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

I've some BD Guides (I think? The coldest rated gloves they do. Not the ones with knuckle protection either) and they have served pretty well. Removable shell for drying which I quite like.

Pretty waterproof unless you are plunging them into wet snow all day at which point they do get a little damp.
In reply to alexgoodey:

> Was thinking about Sealskinz?

I have a pair of sealskins extreme cold weather gloves, and sorry I do not rate them at all. This is the second winter, and I very rarely use them. Yes the are fully waterproof in themselves, but the big gauntlet coupled with its stiffness is very hard to cinch down tight on to your outer layer - the result is water finds it's way down quickly into the glove. Would be better under the jacket cuff but it's a large gauntlet so not easy for most jackets. I've had the back of the hand feeling cold and wet within 15mins wearing in heavy rain. Also, when I have used them in dry but cold conditions I do not find them particularly warm. By themselves without a liner glove personally I would limit them to 0 C at the lowest. I think it is the type of liner that to me makes them feel colder. Lovely feel and super waterproof, but for me extremely limited. I would never take them on to a mountain. Be interesting if other have a better view of them. BTW think they only do up to xl.
On the other hand I use Montane extreme as my go to winter glove (only winter walking, not climbing). Always warm and dry. The softer gauntlet makes it much easier to cinch down tight and coupled to the wrist adjustments, little or no water gets in easily. If water does get in they are so much warmer than my sealskinz and water is usually soaked up into the gauntlet material. Great for wear, but slight doubt over the pertex on the back of hand if you were to snag it on rock - I've never done that so still looking and performing as new into their second year.
 Andy Hewison 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-equipment-guide-glove-1c310176?id_c...

ME Guide gloves, I find these pretty good, maybe not down to -10 unless you wear a liner or use over mitts at belays etc as other posters have suggested.
 Freddie 1 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:
+1 for Mountain Equipment Colouir. They have radically changed winter climbing for me. It needn't be miserable apparently...
In reply to alexgoodey:

I use Black diamond Glissade gloves, you should be able to get them from Cotswolds- they are fantastic, this was after years of trying to find decent gloves.
In reply to alexgoodey:

BTW mate I personally wouldn't reccommend sealskinz, I bought a pair for £50 and they were wrecked and soaked through after one gully climb on Ben.

If I was a seal I'd be well annoyed.

BD gloved are really good, warm and you retain dexterity.
 stratandrew 03 Jan 2014
In reply to alexgoodey:

ME Radonnee. very good value for money at around £50. Very hardwearing, very dextrous, pile lined. Not completely waterproof but they stay reasonably warm even when wet. I have two pairs. Have added elastic idiot loops to one pair. work well for ice and mixed for me in both Scotland and Norway last two years running - temps down to -10 or below there a couple of times. Try wearing Marmot wrist gaitors with them as well - as keeping blood warm in your wrists often helps to solve cold hand problems.....
 Slarti B 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Freddie 1:
> +1 for Mountain Equipment Colouir.

+2 for ME Couloir. Had 2 ice climbing trips last season and they were dry and warm. Much better than my previous Extremities Ice Gauntlets.

Nice for skiing too.

alexgoodey 06 Jan 2014
Thanks all

Gone for the ME Super Alpines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...