UKC

Road Tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 03 Jan 2014
I am sure this has been discussed many times, but I couldn't see anything recent. Im after a new set of road bike tires, obviously want super light, super durable, super grippy and super cheap, but will compromise some weight for durability, as I will be using them on winter roads and I will pay what I have to pay as long as it isn't too outrageous.

What would you buy?
johnj 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> I am sure this has been discussed many times, but I couldn't see anything recent. Im after a new set of road bike tires, obviously want super light, super durable, super grippy and super cheap, but will compromise some weight for durability, as I will be using them on winter roads and I will pay what I have to pay as long as it isn't too outrageous.

They're called Schwalbe unobtainium, excellent tyres I remember putting a pair in the shed and can I find them again!

> What would you buy?

A mountain bike.

Hth ;+)

Marek 03 Jan 2014

Depends on what compromise you can accept, what size you want and what you are using the bike for.
If you want 'bomb-proof' for comuting, then Marathon Plus are supposed to be the best.
For more general use I find GP4000s pretty good on all fronts.
 jayme 03 Jan 2014

Gatorskins work for me
 Andrew W 03 Jan 2014
I've started using Schwalbe durano after being strongly recommended them, they are fairly light and cheapish but I've not but enough miles in them to see if they are a long term choice, the durano plus is also available with better puncture resistance but a bit heavier.

Also used gatorskins but find them not a particularly nice ride and don't feel like they have a huge amount of grip in the wet.
Post edited at 11:07
 Nick Harvey 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marek: Marathon Plus are the best, I am sure of it - yet, sometimes sh1t still happens - http://nickonice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/tyre-tribulations.html

TobyA 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marek:

> If you want 'bomb-proof' for comuting, then Marathon Plus are supposed to be the best.

I got about 10,000 kms out of the my marathon pluses commuting and later mixed riding (gravel, light off road) on CX. Just replaced them with a pair of Marathon Plus Tours which have a bit more tread as I'm doing more gravel and dirt road riding on that bike. They have never punctured.

But, and its a big but, they are heavy - really noticeably so. Replacing some light CX tyres with the Tours, I could really notice the difference when picking the bike up and I'm not normally a weight-weenie worrier type.

So super good if you need reliability but far from light.
Paul Edwards 03 Jan 2014

I run schwalbe durano in winter and ultremo in summer, the roads where i am are pretty clean and we don't get much flint or broken glass. would run Durano plus if there was more chance of punctures
Roadie_in_denial 03 Jan 2014

What kind of bike are they going on?

I know you said a road bike but are we talking a road race type bike or a CX/Tourer/Commuter type road bike?

If the former then I'd suggest 700 x 23 Continental UltraGators (get the kevlar bead version if you want to save weight). As has been said above, when first fitted I've found that the first 100 miles or so can be a bit dicey in the wet, but once they're 'bedded in' so to speak, they're a fantastic winter/training tyre.

If the latter then I'd accept a small weight penalty and fit Schwalbe Marathons.

Hope that helps!

Gatorskins offer best compromise for me too. Commuting and long weekend rides.

Some websites usually has a deal on them too which means they can be good value.
 sleavesley 03 Jan 2014

Continental four seasons are worth a look.
 r0b 03 Jan 2014

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance
OP The New NickB 03 Jan 2014

Thanks all, it's on a fairly race orientated bike and I will be restricting my purchase to 23s.
Cambridge-Climber 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB: I ride a pair of Maxxis Detonators. They're very pretty.

Marek 03 Jan 2014
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Thanks all, it's on a fairly race orientated bike and I will be restricting my purchase to 23s.

Unless you're hell-bent on infinitesimal aero advantages, don't discount 25s or even 28s.
 andy 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB: I think Conti GPS 4 Seasons are a pretty good compromise between being dead heavy and bombproof (gatroskins) and light but poppy.

However I have recently become a tubeless convert in both summer and winter - but that means you have to have wheels that'll take them. I use the Schwalbe Ultremo kits that I buy from either bike-discount.de or bike24.com - about £65 a pair including fitting fluid and puncture goo. I've had a couple of punctures recently, one from broken glass - just spin the wheel, leave it for a minute and it seals. Would a gatorskin or a 4Seasons have punctured? Dunno, but it certainly beats changing a tube in the rain.

And the Schwalbes aren't even that hard to fit - I've done two sets now without levers.

andy 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Marek:

> Unless you're hell-bent on infinitesimal aero advantages, don't discount 25s or even 28s.

Assuming you can get 25s on your bike, most people seem to think they're the way to go nowadays, summer or winter.
Cambridge-Climber 03 Jan 2014
In reply to The New NickB: Buy eclipse Tubes, 12 months without a puncture (touch wood).

Removed User 03 Jan 2014

Conti 4 seasons - never had a puncture in two tyres worth of riding.
 Tom Hutton 04 Jan 2014
I'm using Hutchison Intensive 2 as a dedicated winter tyre as they are tough, reasonably light and well cheaper than most mentioned. I usually run Conti GPs and am sure these don't perform as well, but then again I have smashed a fair few PBs this winter so they can't be all bad.
Post edited at 17:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...