UKC

Recommend me an adventure!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 03 Jan 2014

I'm after some suggestions.

My friend and I have decided we want to go on a massive trip in 2015, somewhere reasonably far flung i.e. outside of Europe or at the very least pretty remote.

Objective wise we are still undecided whether to go for a big snowy peak style trip or a big wall rock style trip. The idea is that it will be something that will push us pretty hard (preferably without certain death but a fair dose of peril is acceptable!)

Thoughts so far have included; Patagonia, Kyrgystan, Yosemite (not remote but fairly big!)

We are both competent climbers in pretty much every discipline which is probably why we can't decide what to do!!

So any ideas would be most grateful, we are looking to be away for maybe 3-4 weeks?

I realise this is all quite vague but hopefully it will spark a good conversation.

Cheers

Simon
 Lukem6 03 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si: what about big walling in Zion, or syberia

In reply to maybe_si:

If you're looking for adventure within a three week time-frame, then it'll have to be somewhere with a decent travel infrastructure, otherwise you're going to be spending a third of the trip just in transit. Really, you need 5 weeks as a minimum (the Mick Fowlers of this world can do these things in less time, but the rest of us humans can't).

It's your big trip, you're already hyper about it, make it really memorable by taking a bit more time; living and travel costs in Asia are pretty low, so with a year to save up, a two-month trip oughtn't to break the bank.

As to where to go, well that's an impossible question. For me, if you haven't been before, then Nepal. But we're also looking at a trip down to South America next year, so I'll be following this thread closely. One of those times when a wealth of experience should shine through - and hopefully no mention of BG......
MarkTilburgs 03 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Hy,

Take a look at the website: http://bucketlist.org
the are full of great ideas
 Ian Parsons 03 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

For something substantial on a large mountain, a total trip length of 3-4 weeks might be a bit on the tight side if significant time-consuming travel logistics are involved - particularly if it's nearer to three weeks than four. I've never been to Patagonia or Kyrgyzstan - and I expect accessibility has improved in both of these in recent years - but I'd suggest that the Central Alaskan Range is probably the quickest-to-get-to large mountain area in the world, well-served as it is by various means of transport. You'd obviously have to factor in acclimatisation time for something on the two highest peaks, Denali and Foraker (or possibly take a short trip to the Alps immediately beforehand), but this would presumably apply in many other areas as well (though not Patagonia).
In reply to maybe_si:

Yosemite is not a bad idea. In the late season and on some of the less popular routes like Steck-Salathe you will find yourself quite remote from anything.

Lofoten is pretty far away too, though not outside Europe. Very good granite there and as it is north of the Arctic Circle you can climb 24/7 during the summer. If it is not raining.
 3 Names 03 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Lotus flower tower, cirque of the unclimbables?
 Misha 03 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Big walls in Greenland? Probably quite expensive but would be memorable!
 Ian Parsons 03 Jan 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Continuing the North American theme the Summit Lake area on Baffin Island would be a possibility. With alpine rockclimbs all around and low altitude, the weather could possibly be the only fly in the ointment; although bad timing would substantially increase the walk-in/walk-out time if you found yourself doing it during the week or so when the ice in Pangnirtung Fjord breaks up and moves out, rendering the fjord unnavigable by either boat or skidoo. The last bit assumes, however, that things haven't changed since 1978!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...