UKC

Beginning bass guitar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teflonpete 03 Jan 2014
I took the plunge and bought a second hand bass. I've got a couple of books for beginners but has anyone got any tips for a beginner? Particularly helpful would be advice on changing between 3 and 4 fret wide spans quickly and smoothly as I don't have particularly long fingers or a very wide hand span.
 Yanis Nayu 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

I can't help (tried to play guitar once, a mate showed me and it took about 5 mins to strum one note), but best of luck to you. I've resolved to learn the piano in 2015, after a year of concerted effort with my Russian.
 sparra 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

I've got huge hands so not aware of your problem, but I never 'learned' to play bass so don't cover frets.

I tend to have my thumb in place around 2/3 and 'swivel' my hand up and down the stuck thumb to reach 4.

I think I also tend to cover 2-4 more than one, as they're used more. (not sure about that - just trying to picture it in my head)
 mrdigitaljedi 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

I play bass so check out this vid

youtube.com/watch?v=g4IF1tDfJio&

alot of practice helps, try putting on a dvd and just doing your chord exercises.

Chris
 BenTiffin 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Play the sort of tunes you enjoy listening to. I used to teach bass and have some tabs I can email through if you want.
 Ben07 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

my advice would be use a metronome from as early as possible, playing simpler stuff in time is gonna help you in the future way more than harder stuff played sloppy. and also learn the actual notes that your playing so you dont just think of a fret as a number. i wish some body had made me do these things when i started playing guitar.
 Blue Straggler 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

> 3 and 4 fret wide spans quickly and smoothly

I used to just slide! Got calloused up quite nicely as I recall
johnj 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:
If you wanna play bass the best tip I can give you is join a band, bands always need bass players and 9 times out of ten for a band reliabilty is always better than playing slap bass funk.
Post edited at 18:18
 The Pylon King 03 Jan 2014
In reply to johnj:

> If you wanna play bass the best tip I can give you is join a band, bands always need bass players and 9 times out of ten for a band reliabilty is always better than playing slap bass funk.

Yep agree with that.
 thin bob 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

learn where the 'equivalent' note is on another string or slide?

watch videos of your favourite bass players/songs & see how they do it.
Don't know who you like, but I learnt by copying Dr feelgood and the stranglers (london lady), tha clash (bankrobber, guns of brixton, tommy gun, white riot) and random reggae/ska.

Definitely concentrate on getting rhythm & timing
 thin bob 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

and (sade's) youtube.com/watch?v=clbqKFM5oQY&
(hint: open string for the lowest notes)

And Therapy by the Damned for a good old thrash
youtube.com/watch?v=Wlptl_xaK5w&
 thin bob 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

better 'Therapy', from 3:10
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkMh2ok6QU&

(you even get to slide or even , ahem, 'pull off' a string. again, note lack of finger movement & open strings
 woolsack 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Superglue dabbed on can help the finger tips a little
 thin bob 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

and even though I'm crap, my last two points:
experiment with playing single finger, two (or more!) fingers or a pick.
Picks are personal, but perhaps a good thick 1mm one big enough to get two fingers on might help at the beginning.

If you clench your teeth slightly and rest the point of your chin on the bass body, you can hear it
 csw 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

On the subject of timing - a cheapo drum machine is less boring than a metronome - there are even some free drum programmes on thr web....
 Durkules 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

When starting out I found learning songs I liked as the most enjoyable way of developing, so find some artists with simple but interesting bass lines (Rage Against the Machine is a good choice, if that's your kind of thing).

Guitar Pro is also an excellent bit of software that I used a huge amount, which is a great tool for learning songs and understanding timings. But I definitely agree - start playing with other people as soon as you can. There's no substitute to develop your sense of timing and 'feel'.
Removed User 03 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

get some lessons-you will spend a load of wasted time working it out otherwise.
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> get some lessons-you will spend a load of wasted time working it out otherwise.

Na don't agree. Most of the best players in the world are self taught. Developing a good ear can only really be done by really listening. Developing your own style and sound can only be done by figuring things out for yourself. There's so much info out there these days that i'm almost jealous of people picking up an instrument today. Youtube is a great resource. I learned by wearing out my vinyl and cassette tapes in the 80's and as my ear developed my taste did. Started off wanting to be Eric Clapton and ended up on a journey that took me through Thrash, Punk, Fusion, Jazz, Classical, Funk, Blues, learning the piano, ukelele and Bass. I love the bass and still manage to pick it up every day.

Advice-wise I'd recommend picking a simple bass line with a simple rhythm on one string like U2's - With Or Without You. This is all played on the Low E string. I don't know who said above to learn chords but that's an advanced technique on the bass that you'll probably get to when you're up to Jaco Pastorius' level! Anyway, once you're comfortable playing that tune start learning what notes you are playing in that tune. I think it's D - A - B - G . Then learn all the notes on that low E all the way up to the 12th fret. Then there's a trick to learning all the notes on the D string but i'm not going to tell you any more!!! Get on Youtube and start pinching as much info as you can.

Good luck, enjoy yourself and get in a band as quick as you can. You get better by playing with better musicians.
johnj 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

> Na don't agree. Most of the best players in the world are self taught. Developing a good ear can only really be done by really listening. Developing your own style and sound can only be done by figuring things out for yourself. There's so much info out there these days that i'm almost jealous of people picking up an instrument today. Youtube is a great resource. I learned by wearing out my vinyl and cassette tapes in the 80's and as my ear developed my taste did. Started off wanting to be Eric Clapton and ended up on a journey that took me through Thrash, Punk, Fusion, Jazz, Classical, Funk, Blues, learning the piano, ukelele and Bass. I love the bass and still manage to pick it up every day.

> Advice-wise I'd recommend picking a simple bass line with a simple rhythm on one string like U2's - With Or Without You. This is all played on the Low E string. I don't know who said above to learn chords but that's an advanced technique on the bass that you'll probably get to when you're up to Jaco Pastorius' level! Anyway, once you're comfortable playing that tune start learning what notes you are playing in that tune. I think it's D - A - B - G . Then learn all the notes on that low E all the way up to the 12th fret. Then there's a trick to learning all the notes on the D string but i'm not going to tell you any more!!! Get on Youtube and start pinching as much info as you can.

> Good luck, enjoy yourself and get in a band as quick as you can. You get better by playing with better musicians.

Excellent post +1

I remember my first guitar tuner back in 82 was on one of those floppy vinyl records with 6 pitch sounds on which I then tried to tune a cheap acoustic guitar to, I seem to remember it took me about 2 years to understand what E sounded like and all I could play was Leaving on a jet plane for at least a year. I remember when I found distortion Amazing Grace made an excellent punk song.

Different world these days with the resource available you can start to develop advanced techniques in a couple of month.
In reply to johnj:

I had one of those floppy vinyl things too! ha But mine was for da Blues. It taught me the blues scale and then it was like play through all the keys using these three chords. I can still remember my mates coming round and like over a weekend i'd learned how to solo albeit in a very very rudimentary fashion ha. What a breakthrough! I also remember my breakthrough with tuning but mine was with those natty pitch-pipes!

As you said though John, different world. All the kids are picking up the guitar and tapping 3 octave arpeggios and can't even tune the thing in!
Removed User 04 Jan 2014

if you really don't see the value of tuition then why are you offering tutorial advice? Surely that's a waste of time?

Hardly tutorial advice, just a push in the right direction.
Removed User 04 Jan 2014

sounds like the same thing to me. apologies in advance if the following appears to be a personal attack (which it is not meant to be) but the idea that "most of the best players in the world are self taught" is rubbish-they may not have undertaken a formal course of tuition but surely every player learns by sharing ideas and seeking advice from other players? How much more comfortable would anyone be with self-taught airline pilots, surgeons, train drivers? Not very, I suggest.

> sounds like the same thing to me. apologies in advance if the following appears to be a personal attack (which it is not meant to be) but the idea that "most of the best players in the world are self taught" is rubbish-they may not have undertaken a formal course of tuition but surely every player learns by sharing ideas and seeking advice from other players? How much more comfortable would anyone be with self-taught airline pilots, surgeons, train drivers? Not very, I suggest.

Don't worry i don't feel attacked. If you read my post again you'll see that you've reiterated what i said. I said you get better by playing with better musicians. You said something along the lines of don't waste time trying to learn yourself. Using pilots and surgeons as a comparable example is ridiculous as peoples lives are at stake if you make a mistake. No one is gonna get hurt by hitting a bum note!! it's not that serious.

I'm not going to get into a debate with you mate, especially about a divergent problem like how do we educate people. I'm a positive person that gives advice out when i hear people asking for it. They can take it or leave it. If you knew me, I'm sure you'd respect what i say about this subject.
Removed User 04 Jan 2014

Fair enough-I just have a problem with the notion that doing it all by yourself in your own room, without reference to anything or anyone else, is either efficient or practical.

> Fair enough-I just have a problem with the notion that doing it all by yourself in your own room, without reference to anything or anyone else, is either efficient or practical.

I didn't say without reference to anything or anyone else either. I said there was loads of free info out there on Youtube etc. Read my post again without bias. My advice is based on getting your own sound and finding your own way around things, everyone has their own take on music. There's no right or wrong way as long as the sound comes out sounding good. Efficiency and practicality are words not really associated with being creative.

Take care.
 crayefish 07 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

I taught myself but my technique wasn't perfect as a result. At the end of the day though, its all about practice. Get something fast (seek and destroy by Metallica for example) and play it over and over. Also don't underestimate the value of putting down a perfectly straight E beat (at a reasonable pace) is the basis of much music.
OP teflonpete 07 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Cheers for the advice everyone. I'm currently practicing by playing along to 'Rockin' all over the world' by Quo on an online tab tool for something simple to keep rhythm to, and practicing a 12 bar Rhythm and Blues riff to get used to moving my left hand around the frets. Lots and lots of practice needed to get used to where the frets are but playing along with something and getting used to playing 8 notes in each bar is a start!
 doz generale 08 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

Technique will come with time. My tips for starters would be firstly to learn where the notes are and then get in a band. Best way to get good at any instrument is to play with other musicians.

Simple but very usefull scale to learn would be 12 bar blues. Once you know a basic 12 bar blues scale and where all the root notes are on the E string you can jam along to anything!

thin bob 14 Jan 2014
In reply to teflonpete:

youtube.com/watch?v=dAqxEdrNXBk&
Pretty simple and rocking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...