UKC

Screen Protectors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
OliverTelfor 03 Jan 2014
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what screen protectors you were using for your phone or camera?

I'm looking into buying one but I wanted to get one that'll last and has been tested in the outdoors eg walking and climbing.

Thanks

Oliver
 imkevinmc 03 Jan 2014
In reply to OliverTelfor:

Screen protectors are a consumable so buy a few at once. I've sourced mine on ebay from a german provider. Delivery is very prompt and they're pretty robust. The reflective ones are a dead loss outdoors
 crayefish 03 Jan 2014

I recently tried one and a month in it is scratched to f*ck and starting to peel at the side. Unless you plan on going through one a month, I'd not bother to be honest.
Jim C 03 Jan 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

> Screen protectors are a consumable so buy a few at once. I've sourced mine on ebay from a german provider. Delivery is very prompt and they're pretty robust. The reflective ones are a dead loss outdoors

Agree, disposable item , so pick them up in the Pound Shop, and have change them fairly regularly, as I am careless.
 The Lemming 03 Jan 2014

Its a bit of a gamble but some are better than others and you never know till you try them. I'd suggest that you choose matt varieties. Even though I have Gorilla glass, I still use them.
No quite for what you asked, (don't use a phone on the hill, and my camera is one of those outdoor ones, so I do not protect it!) but for my GPS screen I use the clear self adhesive plastic film that you buy by the roll for book covers !
Cheap and very effective at stopping scores on the face. Just rip off and replace as needed which is not that often. Have used it on all my GPS units for at least 8 yrs and no scratches have ever made it to the actual screen glass. Never had it come off accidentally either and copes with the abuse that mountains give whether sun, rain, sleet, snow, rubbing by rocks, gloves, rucksac or whatever. Only draw back is it reduces clarity very slightly (at least if you get a good quality film it's only slightly) and so might not be of use if you want pin sharp viewing of say a camera screen.
myth 03 Jan 2014

Red Devil brand for my phone - More expensive than the others but last ages. I change mine once every 5-9 months. That's only because its starting to bubble after being dropped a few times. I could probably get away with a few more months use if I were more careful.
 PPP 03 Jan 2014

For smartphone, any screen protector will work. Never spotted many differences, so grab few on eBay or Amazon. Some of them last not so long, some of them are sticky, some of them leave fingerprints... But in overall, they do their job.

For digital camera without touchscreen, I use exactly the same as this: http://dx.com/p/ggs-professional-screen-protector-for-canon-450d-digital-ca... . It's hard clear plastic, which worked me well over few years (maybe 3?). Its corner has cracked and it has few large scratches. That just means it protected the main screen so well . It does not affect the screen quality a lot.
OliverTelfor 03 Jan 2014
It would mainly before camera screens and lens.

Just bothered if I dropped it or bashed it against a rock or something. Has anyone had experience with a particular brand or maker?

Cheers for your comments guys
 martinph78 03 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:

Second vote for these. Dropped my DSLR, the protector shattered completely but peeled off and the screen below didn't have a mark on it. Brilliant!

No idea if there's something similar for touch screens though.
GeorgieS 03 Jan 2014
I haven't heard of GGS before, I just use Expert Shield's stuff. Really reliable and they replace your stuff if it gets scratched and stuff.

Hope it helps
 PPP 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Well, clear plastic can not be effectively used on touchscreen devices as they would not be sensitive to touches.

However, there are alternatives, for example: http://www.otterbox.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-cases/samsung-galaxy-s3-cases,def... . I can't comment on the screen sensitivity, though.
 PPP 03 Jan 2014
In reply to GeorgieS:

Expert Shield screen protectors are made of film and used for touchscreen devices (phones, mostly). That GGS screen protector is made of plastic and is not supposed to be suitable for touchscreen displays.
 LastBoyScout 03 Jan 2014

I have a Galaxy S2 with a Zagg Invisible Shield protector and a CaseMate Tough case.

Seems pretty robust - going on 2.5 years for screen and 2 years for case. The original Samsung case was brittle and bits kept chipping off.

The Zagg screen protector goes on wet and needs time (24h-ish) to dry out completely, or it feels "sticky" - good for lack of finger prints and bubbles, though. Still not as slick to the touch as some - wife has some self-adhesive film on her S3 mini, which is better. Can't remember what, got it from an O2 shop, anyway, pack of 2/3.

The CaseMate wraps around the edges and stops the film lifting, which is good. It does have a tendency to hook coins out of my pocket, though.

Outdoors, my phone has been upgraded from zip-lock sandwich bag to Aquapac mini stormproof case.

Camera has a Jessops own-brand film on the screen, so not much help.
GeorgieS 03 Jan 2014
In reply to PPP:

I have an Expert Shield for my iPhone 3s and it doesn't seem to effect the reaction speed of the phone.

I got a Olympus OMD EM5 for my birthday last October and got an ES for it and as far as I'm aware the protection hasn't been lighten cause of the touch screen element of it.
OliverTelfor 03 Jan 2014
I'm not really sure about an OtterBox though, seem to make it all a bit bulky when I really just want to keep the slimness of the device.

I'll give Zagg and Expert Shield a look,

Cheers guys
 LastBoyScout 13 Jan 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

The one on the S3 mini is a Belkin TrueClear one, 3 in a pack.

But you've already got one by now, I'm sure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...