UKC

Cheapest way to SPA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 03 Jan 2014
Can anyone tell me the quickest cheapest way to get my SPA ?
 jezb1 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Climb lots, book on a training - I have one in April climb more, do some group work and do your assessment a few months later...
 butteredfrog 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

There's only one way really:

Register with Mountain Training (Siabod cottage)
Find a provider
Training
Consolidation period
Assessment

Cheers Adam

marsbar 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

You MAY be able to get it paid for in return for a commitment to use it to work with a voluntary group such as Guides or Scouts.
 LastBoyScout 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Think it's possible to apply direct for assessment, or used to be, but you needed some persuading skills!

After training, you'll need to get some consolidation experience in your log book, which means it's going to be at least 2-3 months, unless you can volunteer at an outdoor centre - anything much less will be suspicious. People have been known to fabricate some/all of the experience, but they're not daft and you better be able to answer questions about it!
 andrewmc 03 Jan 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Plus the 2-day first aid course I guess? (looking to do it myself at some point)
 butteredfrog 03 Jan 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Forgot about the first aid!
 SimonMarcYoung 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

You just need to put the effort and time in and pay the fee's same as everyone,
 jimtitt 03 Jan 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I´ve done the training, first aid and assesment all straight after each other over about 8 days, bit hard to organise and you want some previous experience! No cheaper except on travel!!
In reply to Ciderslider:

If you want free, or better than free, get paid to do it, join the Armed Forces and get paid to go on courses you personally won't pay for?
 jezb1 04 Jan 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

A fairly extreme way to get your SPA though, especially for an old man like Mark !

OP Ciderslider 05 Jan 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Steady Jez
altadv 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

You could volunteer for Bolton Council Outdoor Education team and in return they will pay for training and assessment courses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...