UKC

Coruisk Hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 03 Jan 2014
The Coruisk Hut is obviously a unique location but I would appreciate any advice as to whether it is well situated for easy to middle grade rock climbing, etc. Forgive me if this seems a foolish question and given the time I would love to explore and find out for myself, but as I am the wrong side of fifty, I need to pick others' experience to try and take in as many gems as possible in my allotted time. Thanks in advance.
 atrendall 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

It's a fantastic location with many easy climbs and scrambles within reach. You could start with the highly recommended Dubh Ridge. If I was looking for easyish climbs and hoping to take in as many gems as possible then I'd be happy to stay at Coruisk. Just factor in the weather factor and the midge season to your plans.
OP Mike Conlon 03 Jan 2014
In reply to atrendall:

Thanks A T, due to the logistics any plans would have to be fairly in advance. I understand June normally sees the appearance of the midges. Would this be your experience ?
 atrendall 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Haven't been in June but May is usually OK. Been in July which can be bad but the extra daylight is a bonus.
 Gawyllie 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

i have camped in Coruisk in June, there was pretty much a strong constant wind that kept the midgies away but as soon as it dropped they were out in force

probably my favorite place anywhere
llechwedd 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Conlon:

> The Coruisk Hut is obviously a unique location ... given the time I would love to explore and find out for myself, but as I am the wrong side of fifty, I need to pick others' experience to try and take in as many gems as possible in my allotted time. Thanks in advance.

I would say that Coruisk is a place that deserves the descriptor 'sacred'.
A PLACE to read about and research, to dream about and eventually to journey there. To accept the midges and begin to discover that each journey will only whet your appetite for more.
However, from the way you've worded your question, it sounds that, rather than adventure there, you want to gorge on it as part of a '100 places to see before you die' sort of thing.
Personally, I see that sort of approach as a desecration of the place, but I'm probably in the minority on UKC.
Better to see a few places and savour them than rush to ticklist experiences.

The Coruisk side of the ridge is not Stanage on steroids. You'll have a longish walk back to the hut or tent from any scrambles or climbs on that side. I'd guess its this that puts most people off staying there multidays.
Nowadays, with the ferry you can just load up the boat with provisions rather than have to carry in. At one time the carry in would have discouraged 'trivial' trips.
So if you're worried about the effect that daily long walk outs over rough ground may have on a middle aged body, go there via the Bella Jane from Elgol to camp/ hut it overnight, and just wonder at the place.
You may then see what I mean.
I hope you'll find it worth the pilgrimage, midges, remoteness and all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...