UKC

Change of Focus for the BMC Forum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We have renamed the BMC Areas Forum as the 'Local Areas Forum'. This is now the place for access discussions, crag restoration initiatives, and discussion before and after BMC Area Meetings.

Alan

PS. there is a new icon but the old one will persist in cache files for a while.
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

So does this mean that the BMC will no longer be posting info about area meetings, crag restorations, guidebook stuff and training courses etc?
In reply to Frank the Husky:
> So does this mean that the BMC will no longer be posting info about area meetings, crag restorations, guidebook stuff and training courses etc?

I don't know.

The BMC Areas forum was not used by the BMC much for these sort of things anyway, it was mostly used by other people to raise access and other issues. People are still free to do this on the appropriate forum.

Area Meetings can be listed in the Events Diary which is the best place for them anyway and we are still maintaining the BMC Meetings section of the Events Diary.

Alan
Post edited at 19:55
 Jim Braid 03 Jan 2014

Including or excluding Scotland?
In reply to Jim Braid:

> Including or excluding Scotland?

If you are referring to topics on the Access Forum, then the boundaries are the whole world, including Scotland.

Alan
astley007 03 Jan 2014

So no BMC forum anywhere on UKC?
A lot of information about BMC area meetings and other BMC issues were posted on here and were well responded too.
Seems a shame that issues the BMC and its members want to bring up will be swamped by a "ceaseless tide of crap*" on all these forums.
Poor form from UKC!!!
Cheers
Nick B
*Geoff Birtles then editor of crags magazine, quoting about Gary Gibson (and am sure Gary wont mind about not using the rest of the quote)

> The BMC Areas forum was not used by the BMC much for these sort of things anyway, it was mostly used by other people to raise access and other issues. People are still free to do this on the appropriate forum.

Hi Alan, that's not true. If you look at the last 60 posts in what was the BMC forum, you'll find that 24 of them were for area meetings and 8 for crag restorations/festivals which is over 50% of the usage of this forum since July. Each of those posts has an average of 300+ views I'd say that was a "well used" forum. Only 10 posts were about access.

However, I know this is not something that you were involved with and you're just reporting what the BMC has decided so it's not really something you can comment on properly. Perhaps someone will be along shortly to explain where this info will be posted.

What would you suggest is the "appropriate forum" for folks wanting to post about an area meeting or a crag restoration?

Puppythedog 03 Jan 2014

I guess Rocktalk would get good views or the new Access forum, seems we have to make the best of it.
Kipper 03 Jan 2014

> What would you suggest is the "appropriate forum" for folks wanting to post about an area meeting or a crag restoration?

Couldn't those people posting the info still do so in the newly named forum?

In reply to astley007:

> A lot of information about BMC area meetings and other BMC issues were posted on here and were well responded too.

This sort of stuff can still be posted on the forums.

Alan

Chris the Tall 03 Jan 2014

IIRC there was a BMC forum on this site long before the BMC were feeding you news stories.

Unless the BMC have actually asked you to stop using their logo and name then it might be worth keeping the status quo

> Hi Alan, that's not true. If you look at the last 60 posts in what was the BMC forum, you'll find that 24 of them were for area meetings and 8 for crag restorations/festivals which is over 50% of the usage of this forum since July. Each of those posts has an average of 300+ views I'd say that was a "well used" forum. Only 10 posts were about access.

We have had a batch of BMC Area Meeting posts from about May 2013 but before that the notification mostly went through the Events Diary which is the correct place for them. Over 200 meetings have been listed there in the past and this channel is still the same as it has always been - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/events.html?t=6 - only one currently in the system.

> What would you suggest is the "appropriate forum" for folks wanting to post about an area meeting or a crag restoration?

People wanting to raise topics for discussion before or after meetings can raise them in Rocktalk for climbing issues, Gear for gear issues, Access for access issues. Crag restoration would be a good one for Access I think.

Alan

Actually having thought about this a bit, I don't really see any problem with the BMC and others using the Access Forum to flag up Area Meetings as they have been doing.

Things like Marti is running here are perfect for this forum - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=574101

It is also worth putting these in the events diary as well.

So really the change is in name only to try and give it a slightly wider focus.

Alan
 Simon 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> IIRC there was a BMC forum on this site long before the BMC were feeding you news stories.

> Unless the BMC have actually asked you to stop using their logo and name then it might be worth keeping the status quo

...plus I think most people will identify quicker and more easily with the BMC logo rather than just "access" which is a bit random to say the least...

...also "why bother changing?"

yep... why fix summit (see what I did there) that ain't brok?

Si

Has the new Access forum arisen because the BMC did not want or did not agree with the old forum, or is it because there is an active requirement to recognise the importance of access for climbing as a whole?

This change seems to have happened rather quickly and there is little information about why the change has taken place. Even the help forum descriptions page needs updating with a new description and name change.

Are you going communicate more later or is this it?

This thread is now quite confusing and there have been several amendments to the initial posting since it was originally created.

Just to be absolutely clear - the BMC fully supports the local area structure and has not 'withdrawn from the forums' as suggested in the original title posting.

What this amounts to is a change in name of the forum from 'BMC Areas' to 'Local Areas'. This has been a UKC decision, not the BMC's.
 Jim Braid 06 Jan 2014
> (In reply to Jim Braid)
>
> [...]
>
> If you are referring to topics on the Access Forum, then the boundaries are the whole world, including Scotland.
>
> Alan

Alan it looks as if it has now changed from Access Forum to Local Areas Forum including in your original post which makes our brief exchange look nonsensical.

My original point had in mind the recent threads on Ledgowan Estate and Glen Lyon in the Hilltalk forum which according to your earlier comment would clearly fall in the Access forum.

Like to clarify?
In reply to Jim Braid:

> My original point had in mind the recent threads on Ledgowan Estate and Glen Lyon in the Hilltalk forum which according to your earlier comment would clearly fall in the Access forum.

> Like to clarify?

Yes, apologies for the switching around here. I think we have now got it sorted though.

In this case it doesn't really matter too much since the threads you refer to are equally at home in the Hilltalk forum.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...