UKC

Aggressive letters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoshOvki 03 Jan 2014
After moving into a new house we got our council tax sorted and posted to us. Some delay due to our landlord but we got a letter through the post yesterday. I found it quite aggressive, "COUNCIL TAX DEMAND NOTICE" and "This sum is to be paid as follows by CASH INSTALLMENTS DUE MONTHLY"

Considering this is the first letter we have had about it where the capital letters really needed and "demand".

It then made me think of letters from the TV License people that make you out to be a criminal for not having a TV License. Why are these letters so aggressive, is it the only way to get people to pay?
Simos 03 Jan 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

It's certainly the only way to get them to take any notice. You'll often find that what debt collectors mainly do is write aggressive and official-looking, threatening letters.
OP JoshOvki 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Simos:

I would have taken notice if the latter said "Council Tax Notice" with a break down and "The sum is to be paid as follows, monthly".

I would also not have felt as put out paying it.
 rockpool 03 Jan 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

it just reminds me of the last time I worked for a large company, the workforce, were described as human resources(a bit too matrixy for my liking )that was ten years ago !!to the powers that be, we are just money cows and must be milked on a regular basis, and given a prod to hurry us up and keep us subdued.
 Cheese Monkey 03 Jan 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

I actually had a very polite letter from a debt collection company stating facts and explaining the procedures that would be followed and very helpful payment options. I was so surprised I paid it off in full on the spot.
Simos 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

The second one had you not paid wouldn't have been so polite I bet - I'd guess it would be red in colour and full of threats lol
Simos 03 Jan 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

Yes I don't disagree, I personally don't care that much what they say unless there is an actual penalty but I can see why that wording could have more impact on people (clearly had on you!). Still doesn't make it right of course.
OP JoshOvki 03 Jan 2014
In reply to Simos:

Made no difference to me paying, I was going to pay either way. Just rather they be polite with the first one at least. Another quandary is why can't you pay things like council-tax with a standing order instead of a direct debit. Really going off doing things with paper + post.
Simos 03 Jan 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

Well with direct debit they basically can take them money rather than rely on you sending it. You can set up direct debits electronically though...
 gethin_allen 03 Jan 2014
In reply to JoshOvki:

I had similar "demands" from Swansea council and thought similar to you. I asked the lady about it when I phoned to set up the dd and she said that the letters were written to make it clear to even the biggest idiot that something needed to be paid.
She was very polite and efficient setting up the payment although the system has been less efficient at sorting out my single occupancy discount now I'm single.
And don't get me started on why I only get a 25% discount!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...