UKC

PQ17 - An Arctic convoy disaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oceanrower 03 Jan 2014

A must watch documentary from the BBC and a shameful episode in British Naval History.

Clarkson finally comes of age. I take back all that I've thought about him over many, many Top Gear episodes.

And this is why we SHOULD have a licence fee.
Post edited at 23:41
 richprideaux 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Worth looking up two previous documentaries along similar lines, one on the St Nazaire raid and one on the Victoria Cross.
 sjminfife 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

I really don't like Top Gear that much but I think Clarkson does this stuff brilliantly. He seems to have a style of genuine awe and admiration when commentating on acts of genuine courage and bravery. Inside him there is this little spark that makes him realise that he can only get up to his selfish antics because of the bravery of others most of which went unreported and unnoticed.
I understand his father in law won the VC at Arnhem.
sjm
 Yanis Nayu 04 Jan 2014
In reply to sjminfife:

I agree, about the documentary itself, and about Clarkson's handling of this type of subject, which I think is excellent.

I liked the comparison between the RN shells and those on the Tirpitz.

What a typically British hero Gladwell was. Humbling stuff.
johnj 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Hello, thanks for the heads up, I'll watch this would you mind posting the link on the thread please for future reference.

cuppatea 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Thanks for posting! I'll set it to record

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03n3297
In reply to Oceanrower: Beneath all the brash TV attitude, bluff and bluster, Jeremy Clarkson is a very good storyteller, especially good when relating tales from wartime exploits. His programme about the Victoria Cross was very good, as was his programme about Operation Frankton and the Cockleshell heroes.

Don't confuse the Top Gear Clarkson with the trained journalist he really is.

T.
OP Oceanrower 04 Jan 2014
In reply to richprideaux:

Thanks. I'll try and find those.
 balmybaldwin 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Agreed I loved "the greatest raid of all" he did on St Nazairre, truely astonishing bravery in the face of near certain death

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s
 wilkie14c 04 Jan 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Wayched this last night, really enjoyed it. I noticed on the credits clarkson wrote the programme too.
Also watched James May Toy stories, an attempt to do the TT course on a motorbike made entirly of meccano. Another winner!
andymac 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Believe his Grandfather won a VC.
 sjminfife 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

> What a typically British hero Gladwell was. Humbling stuff.

No high technolgy, No massive industrial machine supporting you just excellent traditional skills, some innovative thinking, a Times Atlas and some "stiff upper lip". The stuff of the "Boy's Own Annual" except this was for real. If you had made it up nobody would have believed you.
sjm

Tom Valentine 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

You are right. Clarkson is only a complete knob for 90% of the time.
 John Ww 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Which, to be fair, is 10% less of the time than some posters on here in the last few months

JW
OP Oceanrower 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Repeated tonight (Monday) at 21:30
 bluebealach 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

Just starting!!
 SteveoS 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

I really enjoyed it, he wrote in his column that no-one should complain about anything after watching that documentary. I agree.
drmarten 08 Jan 2014
Just caught up with this, and thought it was very good. My grandfather was sunk (and survived) on a returning convoy QP-11 a few months before PQ-17 so the Arctic Convoys have always interested me. I think the problem with recognising the crews was the ensuing Cold War and the change in relations with Russia. My dad has applied for his father's Arctic Star as next of kin and hopefully we'll have that soon.
Jeremy Clarkson related the story well and it was fascinating to find out about Gladwell. As ex-RN I think it's fair to say that PQ-17 is a stain on the Royal Navy's history.
 crayefish 08 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

I watched this program last week and it was very good. As with the others I thought Clarkson was great in it, though I do think is a great presenter in general and I love Topgear.
 John H Bull 08 Jan 2014
In reply to drmarten:

> Just caught up with this, and thought it was very good.
Me too. My grandad was in the Merch in the Atlantic convoys, but he never talked about it at all. Must have been stressful beyond belief. Clarkson, much is forgiven.

drmarten 08 Jan 2014
In reply to John H Bull:

From reading your post it seems your grandfather may now be dead - if his next of kin are interested they can apply for his Arctic Star. Think of it as a piece of history and belated recognition.
 John H Bull 08 Jan 2014
In reply to drmarten:
Good call. He died about 15 years ago, aged 100. My dad has all his medals - I'll check (judging from Wiki it would have been the Atlantic Star, which looks familiar)...
drmarten 08 Jan 2014
In reply to John H Bull:

Try this :
http://www.veterans-uk.info/arctic_star_index.htm

It was only awarded last year after a public campaign so I don't think your dad will have it.
 balmybaldwin 08 Jan 2014
In reply to drmarten:

Much like the Bomber command medal we picked up on behalf of my Grandfather last year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...