UKC

Climbing in Vietnam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bb1304 04 Jan 2014
Currently travelling around Vietnam and looking to climb in the North. I have seen a few companies offering climbing trips but these seem to be an introduction/drinking party and very expensive.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the most out of the venues for the smallest cost.

Thanks for the help.
 efrance24234 04 Jan 2014
In reply to bb1304: paul.. is that you?

chris fox 04 Jan 2014
In reply to bb1304:

I know somone who hired a guide for a day or two over there that i don't think was one of those drinking party things. I'll fwd this onto her
 1poundSOCKS 04 Jan 2014
In reply to bb1304: You could go to Cat Ba and try to find a partner. There's a notice board at the Slo Pony office (they might have changed their name now). There weren't many climbers about when I was there in December a couple of years ago, but you will be able to do some DWS.

Short&Savage 04 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

The company (Slo pony) has changed its name to Asia Outdoors - just google 'Asia outdoors Cat Ba' and you'll find them. You can go DWS with them and the cost depends on how many people sign-up - although I have no ideas what the weather/water temp are like this time of the year - it may well be a bit cold for DWS??

I think their office may be your best bet in finding a partner for sports climbing (notice board / asking around). Also, when I was in Cat Ba, there was only one place that had bunk beds so if you stay there you might bump into another climber. Failing that, try to befriend the guys working for asia outdoors (go for a drink with them) and they might take you out on their 'off' days.

Hope this was useful
 1poundSOCKS 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Short&Savage:
I did DWS in December. Water is fine, but it can be chilly out of the water when you're wet, depending on the wind. Take a towel and a change of clothes.

Having said that, if I had found a partner I would have spent more time sport climbing than DWS.
Post edited at 14:58
 Dave Lucas 04 Jan 2014
In reply to bb1304:

We can also vouch for Asia Outdoors (aka Slo Pony). Below is a link for some info about practicalities- getting to Cat Ba, hotel, food, idea of prices etc.

http://expeditionconsultancy.com/wp/2012/12/vietna/

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more info on the DWS. Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...