UKC

Recommended Sport climbs in the South

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oogachooga 04 Jan 2014
Can anyone recommend a few nice sport climbs in South Wales and UK? (Travelling from Gloucestershire)

I have found a few possible climbs in South Wales from a google search but not sure if they still exist or are worth travelling for.

Looking for low grades really f5-6 if there are 2 or 3 routes like this I would be happy.

Cheers
In reply to Oogachooga: I don't know much about South Wales, but the best sport climbs I've tried at that grade were at Coastguard South on Portland. There are 4 or 5 at 6a around the climb Coming of Age, where you're on steep rock almost immediately above the waves. Maybe best left to the summer, though. At Cheddar, Easter Island has a number of routes at 6a and a couple of easier ones. Nothing exceptional, except that part of the crag does get full-on sunshine which makes it a good winter choice. Wyndcliff quarry gets full sun, too, and some of the 6a+ routes on the top tier are soft so worth a shot if you can get up 6a. There's also a 6a or two and some 5s. Again the selling point is the sun.

Chris Sansum 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oogachooga:

Pregnant Pause, Portland.

OP Oogachooga 04 Jan 2014
Yeah wyndcliff quarry was a name that cropped up, just found it on the crag map. Looks just up my street.

Im going to look into the rest now, portland sounds awesome.
 andrewmc 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Oogachooga:

I believe there is a surprising amount of sport climbing in South Wales, including south-east Wales, although it is to my shame as a native of the region that I have never climbed in my home country.

The South Wales Mountaineering Club Wiki (google it) has lots of details, from what I can tell some (but not all) may be wet in the winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...