UKC

rucksack recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 04 Jan 2014

So I currently use a black diamond rucksack, which I really like,but it is dying. So looking to replace it, but struggling to find something with all the features I want.
The main feature that I love on my current on is a big sturdy zip down the front of the main section which allows me access to everything really easily. Its a 35l bag.
I don't want lots of structure to the back, none of the airflow systems etc.
I want ice axe attachments, and decent side straps for skis would be good.

Decathlon have one that might fit the bill, so I am going to look at that this week, but would like to look at a few others too, if anyone knows of something that would work for me?
Post edited at 09:44
 kingborris 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Deuter guide 35? Has a zip down the side, axe loops, ski holders and is bombproof

climber34neil 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Another thumbs up for the deuter guide as mentioned above, however I bought a new pack about a year ago and it was between the deuter and black diamond axis 33, in the end went for tge axis as I like the zip opening rather than a combination of both zip and clip. Also the lurid yellow ish colour is great
Shearwater 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

The Blue Ice Yeti 45 might do the job. There's a 30l version, but it doesn't have a front zip.

Probably not the in the decathlon price range.
In reply to girlymonkey:

Why not just buy Black Diamond's current version of your pack, rather than switching moake and model?
 crayefish 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:
Crux AK37? It's super tough (kevlar fabric), one of the lightest around, rain proof and is very simple with a good compression system.
Post edited at 14:14
OP girlymonkey 04 Jan 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

My current one doesn't have ice axe attachments. I can use the side compression straps but its not a great solution, the axe bounces off my shoulder a bit. I love the bag other than that.
In reply to Shearwater:

I do like the look of the blue ice yeti, shame the 30l doesn't have front zip. I have a 55 that I like, so 45 probs a bit close in size. Thanks for that though, worth remembering.
In reply to girlymonkey:

Oh by the way, hi, forgot it was you! How was your work over here in the east the other day?
In reply to kingborris:

The deuter might work, will try and get my hands on one to have a look at.
Thanks
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Yeah, work was good thanks, I ended up doing a fair bit through there
 forcan 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'll add to the Deuter Guide 35 recommendations - mine has suffered everything I've thrown at it, and everything I've thrown it off too. The big side zip, and waistbelt with gear loops are unmatched (so far). Very stable when climbing too.
 due 04 Jan 2014
In reply to forcan:

How tall is the Guide 35? I'm trying to find something that will fit me reasonably well (6'3") but is still daysack sized.
 gjd 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

The blue ice has a small back size which suited me just fine - i'm 5'6. It's hard to find small back sizes in other makes. It's nominally 45L but in practice smaller and very adjustable. Well worth trying out.
 AlH 04 Jan 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'll put in a vote for Lowe Alpine. I've been using one of these http://www.lowealpine.com/alpine-attack-nd-35-45 for over a year and its done guiding work on Skye and Ben Nevis, cragging all round the UK, Summer ML expels and barely shows any wear at all. Tough sacks and very comfortable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...