UKC

What will happen if I use crud race guards off road?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stig 04 Jan 2014
Just received a set of Crud road racer guards and they includ a pretty unambiguous injunction not to use off road. Since I want these for an extremely muddy and wet commute on a CX bike I guess I could be wasting my time fitting them.

Anyone used them and can confirm if that is right?
 Andy_B39 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Stig:
Normally with road guards, this comes down to how close they sit to the tyre. If there's not enough clearance between tyre and guard, they can clog up pretty quickly with any mud picked up by the tyre.
 brokenbanjo 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Stig:

The guards will explode. The bike will explode. You will implode and then explode. For the love of Christ, just don't do it.

Alternatively, they will clog up.
OP Stig 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Andy_B39:

Cheers, yes I can get the clearance but because they are narrow they might then be pretty useless at actually stopping the spray. Additionally because the bike has disks I can't use one of the fixings over the brake mount.
OP Stig 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Stig:

To answer my own question: they don't fit at all. I got some SKS Longboards from my LBS. they seem pretty cool.
 Nick Harvey 04 Jan 2014
In reply to brokenbanjo: the guards might, sort of. I cycle to work via a short stretch in a forest and once the wheel dragged up a stick which snapped various bits of the guard and sent parts flying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...