UKC

Big waves and possible storm damage at Stackpole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cardi 04 Jan 2014
Reports on a birding blog today along with a very impressive photo. Looks as if the main bit has escaped unscathed for now.

http://pembsbirds.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/a-stormy-sea-at-stackpole-head-thi...
 lowersharpnose 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Cardi:

Wow. Waves reaching the cliff top.
 Jon Stewart 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Cardi:

Not really any routes in the guillemot-infested inlet are there? As long as the big E2/3 routes survive, that's fine by me. Swordfish better not fall off the crag, it's one of the best routes in Pembroke!
 ChrisJD 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Cardi:

The seafront at Aberystwyth got a bashing as well - some 'classic' bouldering lost no doubt

youtube.com/watch?v=-5OD2fF28-0&
In reply to Cardi:
There was a photo in an old (1980s?) CC journal of waves going over the top of St Govan's Head as demonstration that the swell at Gogarth was nothing to get concerned about.

A bit worrying that the blog talks about cracks appearing at the back of the cliff.

ALC
Post edited at 17:09
 Al Evans 04 Jan 2014
In reply to lowersharpnose:

I was once climbing at St Govans and a coastguard came driving along the cliff top with a loud hailer telling everybody to get off the crag as major waves were going to hit the crag in the next half hour. We stuck around and were amazed to see waves breaking over the top of St Govans, anybody left on the crag would have been swept away.
 John2 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Cardi:

In the last few days I've seen waves breaking over the tops of Stackpole, Mowing Word, St Govan's, Trevallen and Chapel Point. On really big sea days you will be soaked by spray if you walk westwards from the St Govan's car park - Newton Head seems to funnel the spray upwards.
 Skol 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Martin Wing:
That's a spooky photo! You can see two heads with noses pointing left, and arms trying to drag people in!
 Jonny2vests 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Not really any routes in the guillemot-infested inlet are there? As long as the big E2/3 routes survive, that's fine by me. Swordfish better not fall off the crag, it's one of the best routes in Pembroke!

Amen brother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...