UKC

Tapering before a marathon - minimum time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 04 Jan 2014
I've been training for a marathon on March 1st but have had no end of colds in the last three months which have left me well behind schedule in my training programme.

I now need to lose a couple of weeks out of it and was just wondering what was the shortest sensible time to cut the taper down to.

I was thinking 1 week?
 wbo 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User: depends on what you're been doing. 10 days is normalish.

Put in on a year planner chart - that usually clarifies things w.r.t. Training

Removed User 04 Jan 2014
In reply to wbo:

Cheers,

I guess that means I'd be doing my last 20 mile run 11 days before the start then.
 normie boy 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> I've been training for a marathon on March 1st but have had no end of colds in the last three months which have left me well behind schedule in my training programme.

> I now need to lose a couple of weeks out of it and was just wondering what was the shortest sensible time to cut the taper down to.

> I was thinking 1 week?

Yes I reckon 1 week is minimum assuming training warrants a taper! Most recommend two weeks gradual but 1 March isn't far off!
 funkyvin1 04 Jan 2014

Out of interest, what mileage are you up to at the moment?
Removed User 04 Jan 2014

Just short of 30 this week. 15 mile run today.
 funkyvin1 04 Jan 2014
You're not that far off then. Listen to your body. If your feeling good a couple of weeks before the event get another big run in and leave yourself a week to taper. If your finding it hard going, lose the last long run and taper for longer so you are better rested when race day arrives.

And just pray that you can keep any further colds at bay..... Treat any family/friends that have colds, even if they're only minor ones, as though they are carrying the plague and stay well clear of them!

Good luck.....
Post edited at 23:22
 Banned User 77 06 Jan 2014

> Just short of 30 this week. 15 mile run today.

I wouldnt get overly concerned then.. generally it takes 10-14 days to benefit from a training session so the last few weeks you don't get any fitter. But off that mileage you wont need to taper.

I do 70% 2 weeks out, 40% last week.. so 70% of 90 miles.. and then all the running is fairly sharp quick stuff.. even reps at marathon pace..

But on 30 miles I'd just drop to 20 or so in the final week..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...