UKC

Chain disaster!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 04 Jan 2014
I fitted a new chain to my bike, before I read that:

"We strongly recommend to set the connecting pin in the hole of the outer link on the front side of the direction of travel. The chains level of strength is enhanced compared to the other way."

Of course I did it the other way. Should I break the chain further along, take it off, rethread it the other way then reconnect with another connecting pin?

Also when fitting it I was worried I'd pushed in it too far, so I backed it off a little, but then it stuck out a bit so I pushed it back in a little, should I be worried? I don't normally change my own chains - as you might be able to tell!
 JLS 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Having not known that, some 30 years has passed without incident. I expect you will be ok.

I also push the pins back and forth as required...
 JLS 04 Jan 2014

Further to that I'd also say I think I habitually do the "wrong way"...

Fair enough. I guess splitting the chain (CN-7801) again to turn it round would probably make it weaker than just leaving it the wrong way round.
 misterb 05 Jan 2014

if you are that worried buy a sram power link and take the link out and replace with that or just carry it with you till the chain breaks then fit it at the time(chains breaking while riding are not fun but it does and has happened a few times to me over the last 10 years)
 blurty 05 Jan 2014

To split a chain by removing (any) rivet, and re-joining using the same rivet is common practice Richard. Most folk only use power links when out and about IME.

The trick is to not push the rivet all the way through the outer side plate, but to leave it hanging. It makes reinsertion a lot easier.
neilus 05 Jan 2014

hmmm i have about a 50% success rate of pushing pins back into chain links...sram powerlinks cost a few quid and make life a whole lot easier...
 sleavesley 05 Jan 2014

I just buy and use KMC chains as there missing link makes it easier to clean the chain off the bike rather than on it. Takes literally a few seconds.
I havent had a chain break yet (I do have a chain wear indicator that I use to check wear though).
johnj 05 Jan 2014

> Fair enough. I guess splitting the chain (CN-7801) again to turn it round would probably make it weaker than just leaving it the wrong way round.

Shimano chains aren't the same as KMC or sachs as they have hardened pins, and when you split them you're always supposed to use a joining pin as illustrated on link:

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/SHCHPNNP5/title/shimano-chain-joining-pi...

however if your very careful you can split and join using hardened pins but breakages often happen this way, always best to carry a chain breaker and spare power link/joining pins just in case.

gethin_allen 05 Jan 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

I've always used SRAM chains for this reason but thought I'd try a kmc chain at the last change. It seems to pick up loads more crud than the old SRAM chains, the shape of the links seems to push the crap deep into the links and if you don't keep it spotlessly clean it sounds like a bag of bolts. Back to SRAM soon I think.

Anyone else found the same?
 sleavesley 05 Jan 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

I have used SRAM previously on 9 speed although I have been 10 speed for a year or two and for the considerable future.
I actually found the SRAM chains quite noisy and clunky on the 9 speed.
I find no problems with the KMC with regard to picking up loads of crud, but then I do keep my bike quite clean and use white lightning epic as a lube which 'cleans' the chain so that you just apply more lube.
 ByEek 06 Jan 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

> I actually found the SRAM chains quite noisy and clunky on the 9 speed.

Agreed. I am now a devout purchaser of normal chains but with an SRAM link for easy removal. I replace my chain every six months or so so the idea of coming unstuck doesn't really play in my world.

Completed the first 100km ride of 2014 yesterday and the chain didn't explode killing me, so I figure I'm all good :-P
 LastBoyScout 06 Jan 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

My road bike came with a KMC chain.

These days, all my chains are Wipperman - never had any problem with any of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...