UKC

Liathach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 04 Jan 2014
Beautiful day today with a miraculous lack of powder after so much precipitation yesterday.
We climbed Spidean from the eastern approach with superb neve right along the crest.
One party climbed George on good ice all the way. Another party climbed Poachers reporting good ice on steep sections but soggy snow between; overall god & justifiable with good screw placements.
 psaunders 04 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Do you think it will be worth a trip up to Torridon next week? I have it booked already but the forecast looks awful and I'm tempted to call it off.
OP Mike Lates 05 Jan 2014
In reply to psaunders:

Depends what you've booked, what you're planning, which forecast & if your glass is half full or empty. Temps after Monday are pretty cold so plenty to do if you've an open agenda and a car to jump around a bit.
High is definitely the way to go; ridges like An Tealach, Alligan, Beinn Eighe have a good cover & pretty well consolidated. Big easy gullies have plenty of consolidation now and should be fine. Ice is less likely but George should survive and it maybe worth thinking of the wonderful Penguin Gully on Beinn Dearg.

The warmest front appears to be coming through fairly briefly on Monday so I'd guess damage will be limited. Precipitation after that looks fairly small on XC but appaling on metcheck. Strongish SWesterlies but N faces should offer shelter; keep an eye on SAIS for Torridon- http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_torridon.asp through the week.
Temps inland are a lot colder and that can be just further east up Glen Torridon.
I've seen a lot worse forecasts and I like the climbing philosophy of "you can't climb it if you're not there."
OP Mike Lates 05 Jan 2014
In reply to psaunders:

I've just found some pics of Coire Dubh Mor on NY day on the SAIS blog- http://saistorridon.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/new-years-day-on-liathach.html
Great to have this service this year guys, thank you
 psaunders 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Thanks! That's very helpful.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty in the forecasts, especially how much rain there will be. I am really loathe to cancel so think I'll go and hope it's worthwhile.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...