UKC

Montane Extreme Mitts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmeehhhh 05 Jan 2014
In a few weeks I am going on my first ice climbing trip. Since I am afraid of getting cold hands, I am thinking of adding a pair of warm belay mitts to my collection. The Montane Extreme Mitts seem to fit this bill?
I tried on some Thinsulate type cheaper mitts in local stores, and noticed that the pile/insulation on the palm shifted very easily, making it almost impossible to get a firm grip on anything. If this would also be the case on the Montane mitts, I can imagine that they are very unsuited to belaying.
There is no way I can try a pair of these in the Netherlands, so I was wondering if people on this forum have experiences with this glove in winter climbing scenarios.

I also tried on some snowboard mitts that had leather palms and a great fit and dexterity. The price was comparable to that of the Extreme Mitts. The only downsides could be that they are slightly heavier and feature a waterproof insert (that slows drying). Any toughts on this?
In reply to timmeehhhh:

For belaying these will be fine, i would buy one size up to wear over your climbing gloves.

I have a pair of OR mitts, similar to Montane ones, which work for me. Outdoor Designs Summit Inferno Mitts also come highly recomended, possibly better handling damp conditions.

Stuart
 ro8x 05 Jan 2014
In reply to timmeehhhh:

used the montane mitts before and had a great time with them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...