UKC

..and the next Prime Minister will be?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 Jan 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/03/david-cameron-conservative-reele...

I don't normally take much notice of stories about political ratings until we get close to an election. The party in power is almost always behind, invariably catches up and often overtakes the opposition by the time the election happens.

However, the last paragraph got my attention. "Cameron found himself in Downing Street in 2010 having won just 36% of the national vote. And no prime minister has improved his party's vote share since Harold Wilson in the second 1974 election. The last Conservative prime minister to achieve it was Anthony Eden in May 1955."

So, all other things being equal, the conservative share would drop putting them almost certainly in opposition. It gets worse though, compounding that is the loss of the grumpy faction of the Tory party who will be voting UKIP next time round.

Obviously Nick Clegg's pre election address to the party faithful will end with something along the lines of "Go home to your constituencies and prepare for obscurity."

It all leaves me thinking that Ed Miliband must be feeling that if he doesn't screw up he can't lose.
 crayefish 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Jesus... could you imagine Ed Milliband representing Britain on the world stage, such as the UN? Thank god I am leaving this country!
 jimjimjim 05 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish: Agreed. No matter what you think of Cameron he certainly holds himself better than Milliband. Looking bleak either way.

Oceanrower 05 Jan 2014
Whilst i can just about see Labour winning the next election with virtually anybody else in charge, I really, really can't see many voting for Ed.

And, at the moment, I don't see who might take over.
Post edited at 22:02
 MG 05 Jan 2014

Where do reckon Lib Dem voters will go? I can't seem them supporting UKIP. What would a 50/50 split between Con and Lab result in? Also will UKIP pick up some Labour voters? Overall politics is far more fractured than previously. Would quite like another coalition personally - either Lib/Lab (which would still give Ed his PMship) or as now.
Removed User 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Whilst i can just about see Labour winning the next election with virtually anybody else in charge, I really, really can't see many voting for Ed.

I have to agree. It's not what he says which is usually quite sensible, he just seems to lack that aura of leadership. If his brother had become leader instead of him then I'd put Labour as odds on. The unions have got a lot to answer for.

A relatively low turnout at the next election. Lots of disillusioned Lib/Dem voters staying at home and Labour voters only going out to get rid of the Tories. A surge in popularity for UKIP splitting the right wing vote and losing them seats.
The next prime minister will be elected...

... not by the electorate, but by a deal behind closed doors. Democracy, sometimes, is only great when you look at the alternatives.

T.
Post edited at 22:28
Cambridge-Climber 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User: Alec Salmond

crayefish 05 Jan 2014

> The unions have got a lot to answer for.

You said it!
cragtaff 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Removed User: The two biggest issues in Britain at the moment are the economy and immigration. Both of these are going to be with us for years to come and will be a lasting legacy of the enormous damage done to our nation by Blair/Brown.

I cannot believe that any serious minded person will ever allow a labour party back into government, mind you, they said the same after Wilson and Callaghan left the country virtually bankrupt, memories are short.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...