UKC

Is Trangia fuel (Methylated spirits) damaging to climbing gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hipyhop 06 Jan 2014
I presume meths will not have a good effect on climbing equipment, especially the fabric stuff, but I couldn't find any information online.

To those who carry meths around with their climbing equipment, how do you safely store it? Are the Trangia fuel bottle's with safety caps secure enough?

Cheers
 crayefish 06 Jan 2014
In reply to hipyhop:

Perhaps you could try a petrol stove fuel bottle if you are worried about leaking? If the o-ring is maintained they're bomber.
 IPPurewater 06 Jan 2014
In reply to hipyhop:

The Tangia bottles are good. I use a 1L tonic bottle or a 500ml sparkling mineral water bottle, which have a ridged seal inside the cap.

Can't you separate it from the climbing equipment ?

Ian
 Neil Williams 06 Jan 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Or consider a gas adapter and so avoid carrying it?
 d_b 06 Jan 2014
In reply to hipyhop:

The trangia fuel bottles are fine, as are sigg bottles. Meths doesn't really effect nylon much, but it does corrode aluminium.
 d_b 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Low energy density, high cost, tendancy to flare. I like my trangia gas adapter, but meths is the only thing predictable enough that I can leave a brew going in the porch of my tent and leave it unattended for a few minutes.

Being slow and boring is a feature, not a bug.
 Neil Williams 06 Jan 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

I have no particular issue with meths Trangias, other than that I want my coffee quicker! But I just thought it was a way of avoiding carrying meths with climbing gear.

Incidentally the Go System burner is pretty much identical and 20 quid cheaper.

Neil
 Choss 06 Jan 2014
In reply to hipyhop:

when i use d Trange i just pop the 500ml bottle the Meths comes in in rucksack side pocket or side pouch. Never had a Problem.
 d_b 06 Jan 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Didn't Optimus do a version of the nova that plugged into a Trangia windshield back in the day? Seemed like combining the worst features of both systems to me, but you wouldn't have to wait long for coffee!

For keeping fuel away from my gear I generally found using bottles that don't leak and storing them upright works best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...